What can the iphone do that android can't?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Last Updated:

1. kgeissler

kgeissler Well-Known Member

First off, I have a Nexus One and love the phone. But on occasion, I get into discussions with the iphone fans in my office. I ask them, "Name something the iphone can do out of the box, that an Android phone can't do?" They have yet to tell me anything.

I then tell them some of the thing Android does that the iphone can't (voice to text, widgets, google integration, etc)

So, is there anything the iphone can do out of the box, that Android can't? I personally can't think of anything

Advertisement
  2. blazeplacid

blazeplacid Well-Known Member

be shinny and have a front facing camera...and I have yet to see anyone use the front facing camera.
  3. srmccoy

srmccoy Well-Known Member

HTC Evo has a front facing camera.
  4. Tre Lawrence

Tre Lawrence Well-Known Member

Well, it does look good in bumpers... :cool:

Seriously, love the first post. That is the unofficial barometer I use when picking phones. How well can this device do the things I need it to do.

If an Apple device can get to that threshold (IOWs, it can do more of what I need a smartphone to do than any other device), I'll jump ship.

When I rattle off the things I could do with my BlackBerry out the box -- like tether -- I'd get blank looks.
  5. kgeissler

They mention that...then I mention the EVO has a front facing camera that doesn't require wifi.
  6. brownhornet

brownhornet Well-Known Member

Well actually the iphone folks can use fring now without wifi too.
  7. kgeissler

True, but that is not out of the box. Once you start getting into apps, there are apps the iphone has that android doesn't and visa versa.
  8. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

iPhone can drop calls with a slide of the finger.
    Joelgp83, Simba501, daveybaby and 9 others like this.
  9. Tre Lawrence

They are also tools of social change. I hold EVERYTHING differently now. Android cannot do that.
  10. Pryomancer

Pryomancer Well-Known Member

The iPhone makes you act condescendingly to anyone who hasn't got one.
    krikit, Tattycakes, Simba501 and 2 others like this.
  11. Starfleet Captain

Starfleet Captain Well-Known Member

Out of the box, the iphone 4 has a better screen and camera than any of the current Android phones. Also, it has a gyroscope.
  12. Gforce083

Gforce083 Well-Known Member

Samsung Captivate has gyroscope :) with the number of Android phones being released the i4's hardware will be surpassed by many phones before Apple puts out another phone.
    Simba501 and oworsnop like this.
  13. Gforce083

Best quote on this forum
    Grommett and mattb7902 like this.
  14. That gorgeous Retina Display *drools*. Not to mention access to tons of apps.
  15. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

Not sure what it is about this display. I saw it first hand the other day and used the phone for an hour or two. The guy who owned the phone kept bragging about it, too. I don't understand, it doesn't look any better nor is it any easier to read than my Droid screen at a normal viewing distance. What is the big deal besides the technical specs?

As for the first post - what can the iPhone do that Android can't? Nothing, really. Although it can drop calls quite readily. Our phones can't really do that out of the box unless you move to a very low signal area.
  16. fasteddie760

fasteddie760 Member

Google Voice is a big one for me.
  17. Tre Lawrence

Wait... the same retina display that is better than my own eyes?
  18. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

Well, my wife would say "sync with itunes" as she's been using itunes for quite sometime and doesn't want to switch to anything else.
  19. chrisinsocalif

chrisinsocalif Well-Known Member

The iPhone can turn you into a condescending a$$hole who likes to follow popular trends which is not based on knowledge of technology. (too harsh?)
    Paranox, dingopb and driffty66 like this.
  20. broads desire

broads desire Well-Known Member

^^ i synced my desire to itunes first day i had it.. not using any apps on the phone .. just itunes agent on the pc ..
    krikit likes this.
  21. ari-free

ari-free Well-Known Member

some android phones, like the SGS come with all kinds of things out of the box. It even has handwriting recognition.
  22. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

She can't get anything to work with her Evo. PM me if you have "directions" for her.

To be honest, I haven't even looked at it to know what she's doing wrong! :)
  23. Not to mention that AT&T doesn't dabble with the updates.
  24. Gforce083

Check out Double Twist
  25. Shocky

Shocky On Probation

It's just a slightly higher resolution LCD display, big deal.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.