What can't you do with root?

Last Updated:

1. LcsEvo

LcsEvo Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Just wondering before I root what will i lose. Everyone says what you gain which is awesome. But what do I lose. What features can I not use. Thanks for any help.

Advertisement
  2. wrapkgb

wrapkgb Well-Known Member

All the feature you use unrooted can be used while rooted. With the exception of 4g, camera and HDMI depending on the rom (aosp). All sense roms have all features working.

3. nintennuendo

nintennuendo Well-Known Member

Yeah. Rooting only makes things better, brah. C'mon, try it. Camera works with a fair few of senseless roms though.

4. openedmind

openedmind Member

It seems that many options are available from rooting. I rooted using unrevoked 3.21 and lost nothing. All the apps I had installed are still there. I have since added a few apps that only work when rooted, and it has opened a door to a whole new world.
    Although I haven't flashed a new ROM yet, I believe this option will only further improve the performance and my enjoyment on my very expensive EVO. Good luck and take full advantage of your phone.

5. LcsEvo

So I would lose 4g. My camera. And hdmi capability? Any of then I can get back worth certain ROMs?

6. wrapkgb

wrapkgb Well-Known Member

No no no.. when you root you will keep everything as it was prior to root. There are some roms that you can flash that have those features missing. For example if you flash cm6.1 you wont be able to use 4g or HDMI. If you flash a rom based off of sense 2.0 (desire hd ) the camera will not work. If you flash any other sense based rom everything will work. Sorryvmy first post is rather confusing.

7. LcsEvo

So only certain roms stop certain programs? Is there any way to know in advance what roms do what?

8. bvbull200

bvbull200 Banned

You just need to do some research. Go to the XDA forums and read the threads for each of the ROMs. The developers are pretty good about specifically telling you what will and won't work with a particular ROM. If you want to experiment with a ROM, get Myn's Warm TwoPointTwo. It is based on Sense, but it looks quite different, runs smoothly, and everything still works with it (4G, HDMI, camera, etc.)