What causes the DROID to become slow?

1. gizbug

gizbug Well-Known Member

Any ideas what causes the droid to become slow. Mine seems a tad slower (opening menu, launching apps, etc) from when I first got it. Maybe have 10 apps installed. Are apps the main source for slowdowns?

Advertisement
  2. holmgren

holmgren Well-Known Member

Do you by chance have advanced task killer? I just read a thread on the main page that said it was causing their phone to become a lot slower and a lot of others confirmed. If you have it, I would suggest uninstalling it and see how it works.
    balluny likes this.
  3. Trel

Trel Well-Known Member

If that turns out to be the problem and you don't mind keeping an icon on the home screen, or launching it from apps, what I did, is set it to not autostart, not display in notifications, and when I'm done with it, I just have it kill itself.
  4. e39e60

e39e60 Well-Known Member

FYI, Advanced Task Killer doesn't slow my phone down but it has showed me that almost every app I have seems to launch itself in the middle of the night when I'm not looking. Probably feed updates I guess.

But I have observed the twitter app slow the phone down when new tweets are coming down.

Probably not what you're seeing but thought I'd mention it.
  5. pkleinlsu

pkleinlsu Member

Yea, mine is ridiculously slow. It keeps wanting to close the android service. any suggestions?
  6. Droids

Droids New Member

Mine grind down to a halt, I shut down the phone and removed the battery several times. It took about 5 minutes for the phone to completely restart for each occurrence and once the icons are loaded on my home screen, I can not use any applications other than the Phone dialer. I was about to return the phone back to VZW until I Googled and found this forum. I uninstalled Taskiller and Advance Taskiller applications from my Droid and I immediately noticed the improved performance.
  7. syntrix

syntrix Well-Known Member

ATK is mentioned many times here as a problem, just search!

There's also a few apps, or configuration of apps that can cause issues. Again, wish there was a master list that the mods could compile and sticky/lock.
  8. Droids

Droids New Member

I think you mis-understood my post. What I tried to say in my previous post was, thank you to this FORUM that I discovered ATK was the cause and was able to resolve the problem. (I don't know what your exclamation point is about????) If I did not search, how else did you think I am able to resolve the problem or discover this forum? I also read an interesting post on Droid Forum - Covering all Verizon Droid Phones & the Motorola Droid "PLEASE READ: Do NOT worry about Apps running in the Background". That is an interesting post and I highly recommend that story to anyone who is new to Android OS.
  9. syntrix

syntrix Well-Known Member

Droids, you are not the OP, but thanks for sharing valuable info!
  10. Droids

Droids New Member

Oops.... that was my bad :).
  11. lilewis

lilewis New Member

My phone has slowed down also and after reading this thread I tried repeatedly to drag ATK to the wastebasket but it will not be deleted. Is there a better way to uninstall Advanced Task Killer?
  12. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

Dragging a widget from the home screen to the trash can does NOT uninstall the application - it only removes it form the home screen.

Think of it this way: You're basically deleting a desktop icon from Windows, not uninstalling the actual program.

To uninstall the app, do either of the following:

• Open Market --> Go to Downloads --> find your app and click it --> select uninstall
    • Settings --> Applications --> scroll to find your app --> click (press) it --> uninstall.
    teddyearp likes this.
  13. lilewis

lilewis New Member

Thank you!!!
  14. davidyjsong

davidyjsong New Member

I just noticed my droid Incredible respond very slowly. I followed the advice to uninstall the Advanced App Killer, which I installed yesterday, turned off the phone and back on again. The problem immediately disappeared. Thanks for the advice.
  15. baw24

baw24 New Member

Know everyone has been eliminating the Task Killer, but it could be something else. I never had the Task Killer and my Droid was still slow. Consider moving some of your applications to your SD card to it takes some of the pressure off your phone's internal memory drive. I did this and got immediate results! Just like new!
  16. Nevets70

Nevets70 New Member

I have also been having this problem with my droid... It seems that nearly 90% of the time when i hit the 'home' button or am exiting an application, or after i put my password in, i am forced to wait 10-30 seconds staring at my background with no apps/shorcuts/buttons or having any response. after a while it seems like my phone remembers that it needs to be loaded, and everything just appears all at once. This is freaking annoying..

A few days ago i moved all of my apps that i could to my SD card.. and then just recently i deleted the Task Killer.. but my phone is still extremely slow.
  17. dennyc

dennyc Member

Mine used to be pretty snappy. It is now God awful slow. No task killer app on the phone. I too have the whole background with no icons for about 20 seconds or more before they decide to load.

Any ideas?
  18. johnlgalt

OK, here is another little tidbit.

if you have apps that you are using the widgets for, DO NOT MOVE THEM TO THE SDCARD.

This will significantly slow down the phone (if not make it crash outright).

I highly recommend using the following apps to tell you what apps can and cannot be moved to the SDCard:

SDWatch - Android app on AppBrain

SDMove - Android app on AppBrain

The first one watches for apps that you install / update, and if they can be moved to the SDCard it will let you know within seconds (to minutes) of installing / updating.

SDMove is even better - you run it and it gives you a list of apps that can and cannot be moved to the SDCard, color coding them as follows:

Red - Apps cannot be moved
    Yellow - App supports Apps2SD but has not been moved
    Green - App supports Apps2SD and has been moved
    Blue - App prefers to use Apps2SD and is on the SDCard
    Cyan - App prefers using Apps2SD but is still installed on internal memory
    SHPlaxBro and bumbleboy like this.
  19. abmoser

abmoser New Member

I'm with dennyc and nevits70. Any time I try to do most things, I have to wait for between 10-30 seconds. Everything lags. I usually have to swipe my finger multiple times to switch home screens once (I've resorted to the toggles at the bottom of the screen, but those still often require multiple taps). Icons take forever to load, and sometimes, don't load at all, especially in the App Drawer. All the programs run slowly. If I try to do anything at the same time a call or text message comes in, the phone gets stuck for close to a minute. I do at least one complete "power down/remove battery/hold power button down for 10 seconds/reinstall battery and restart" cycle daily, if not more frequently. And, lately, it's taken to randomly rebooting on me. That's happened about twice since Thanksgiving.

I know it's not the high-end phone it was when it came out a year ago, so I don't expect it to be as snappy as my friends' Droid Xs, but I do expect it to keep some semblance of the speed it had when I got it, and it definitely doesn't.

I do not now, nor have I ever, had any task killing programs installed.

Any ideas? I can't get a new phone until my contract lets me in July, and this is painful.
  20. sonmack

sonmack New Member

I have the same thing. I stare at the wallpaper with no apps for what seems like hours and finally they appear again. Extremely annoying!
  21. mudgie

mudgie New Member

I just removed my task killed app and wavesecure and my Droid seems to be pretty snappy now.
  22. johnlgalt

Have you installed a lot of apps and then removed them? Dalvik cache might need cleaning. Do you have a lot of apps installed? Do you have a lot of apps that require a ton of space (in terms of like data files, etc.)? Do you have a lot of running services?
  23. thesuperjman

thesuperjman New Member

Hey guys, I just deleted ATK and noticed a considerable difference in my phone's operating speed. Thanks for sharing that information. Now, I have another question, is it ok to have all of those applications running without a task killer to shut them down? Will this drain my battery faster or have some other effect? Sorry if this has already been asked, but this thread is kinda long now and I may have missed it, thanks!
  24. johnlgalt

25. thesuperjman

thesuperjman New Member

Ok thanks johngalt, that told me all I need to know.