• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What changed in the 2.29.405.5 update

imcat

Dec 27, 2010
Okay, I have started to notice some big changes since this update.

The first positive change is that apps now install direct to SD Card when downloaded and I no longer have to go through the download then move hassle. :)

A couple of minor negatives:

- The live wall paper can get 'stuck'. By this I mean that if you are using the stock HTC live wallpaper and go to the left most screen which is a darker blue, launch an app from a widget there and then later do a direct jump back to the home page, the live wall paper will still be on the left most screen (ie, you home screen will be a darker blue). It looks kinda cool when it happens.

- The update sets the stocks app to sync. Just need to disable it again and then all is fine.

I will let you know if I spot any more changes

Reactions: Squash_man
How did you get 2.29.405.5 installed?
i have tried OTA, RUU, flash to older rom, root, unroot nothing works.
HTC desire on t-mobile/orange
I used the RUU on shipped roms with a goldcard and HTC Sync v3.x and it worked just fine:

Shipped ROMs

I have an unbranded and unlocked Telus Canada Desire. I unbranded with a generic RUU like the above with a goldcard, and unlocked with a code online, and although the OTA update wouldn't work for me either, this RUU worked perfectly.

It fixed a few issues too, like the weather widget which updates better now. And overall performance seems a tad snappier now.

Upvote 0
Okay, I have started to notice some big changes since this update.

The first positive change is that apps now install direct to SD Card when downloaded and I no longer have to go through the download then move hassle. :)

A couple of minor negatives:

- The live wall paper can get 'stuck'. By this I mean that if you are using the stock HTC live wallpaper and go to the left most screen which is a darker blue, launch an app from a widget there and then later do a direct jump back to the home page, the live wall paper will still be on the left most screen (ie, you home screen will be a darker blue). It looks kinda cool when it happens.

- The update sets the stocks app to sync. Just need to disable it again and then all is fine.

I will let you know if I spot any more changes

I have noticed that not everything goes straight to sd card. There seems to be three types

- some apps have no sccard option - mostly older apps and system apps
- some install into internal memory but you can then manually move to sdcard after
- some install straight to sd card and bypass the internal memory install.

Not sure why some will go straight and others you have to move manually unless there is some setting the dev needs to include in the app.

Upvote 0
Email no longer gets automatically removed from the Desire after being downloaded and removed from the server:mad:

I am now forced to either disable the download of emails to my Desire or manually remove each and every one of them:mad::mad::mad::mad:

An option would have been nice:rolleyes:

Are you using IMAP or POP to get your mails? IMAP should exactly replicate your mailbox and folders in both directions - mine does.

Reactions: Village Guy
Upvote 0
As mentioned in another thread, I use to get the "SIM card changed" message on startup following my move from O2 UK to T-Mobile UK on 405.2. When I went into settings T-Mobile was not an option and Settings force closed. Once updated via RUU to 405.5, T-Mobile was on the list and Settings worked as expected, no more SIM notifications

Upvote 0
After installing the last update sync stopped working at all. It looks like it's not even active. No matter how many times you press to sync something it still says that last time it was synced on 3rd of January. Moreover, Gtalk is not working at all. I can't even start it. But i believe this has to do something with the sync.
Has anyone else faced same issue? If so is there any way to fix it other than trying to do hard reset (wouldn't really like to do that)...

Upvote 0
@ mytwok
I did OTA update as always because i have factory unbranded unlocked Desire and never had any issues. Just a week ago decided to see if Gtalk works and decided to turn on sync to check if it works. But neither of them seem to be working. If hard reset is the only option then it's not very good. Thanx for reply.

Upvote 0
i cant access the market with this update, i debranded my desire, then once i discovered the update wouldnt install when it automaticaly prompted me, i immedately installed this rom manually discovering there is no market application on the fone, any help guys?
Is the icon for the Market app in the list of apps? If it's missing, then the update may not have worked properly. Do a factory reset to wipe the phone clean and reset the firmware, or reflash the firmware (ROM) and see how it goes. I flashed the full firmware to my phone and the Market is there...this is the first I've heard of the Market not showing.

Note that when you flash this ROM it wipes the new version of the Market and installs the older version since that was the version available at the time the firmware was released. But after a few hours or so it will download and install the newer version of the Market.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones