What changes would you make?

Last Updated:

1. backdown

backdown Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

First, i know there are probably hundreds of threads like these. But instead of hijacking everyone elses threads for my ideas, i figured i would make my own.

Now that you have had two months (or less, who knows!) to mess with your phone, what would you change? For me? :

Flash based memory. This comes from the concept of the Iphone. I would never trade my evo for an iphone (might be hard if they came to sprint..), but the one thing i really, really like about the iphone is that the hardware basically works with the phone. When you go to your pictures albums, they are there..they don't need to load. When you go to your music, it is there...it doesn't need to load. Its really a great feature that i would love to have.

A better keyboard. Granted you can change your keyboard (thank god) thanks to the market, but i think that the evo should really come with a better preloaded keyboard. Right now i am using Swiftkey, and i absolutely love it.

A non protruding camera. The camera is great, but on my last phone i had it for two months and the camera was all scratched. With my new one, i have a invisishield over it..but its still a hassle.

Better sound quality. I love the sound on the phone, but with technology these days i think the sound could be better sounding, and clearer.

Overall, i love my phone..i just wish those things above were fixed. I went a day without using my Evo, and i used my rumor..lets say that i about died.

Advertisement
  2. ekang

ekang Well-Known Member

The one change I would make is the way the camera lens extends past the back of the phone. I can't understand this design!? Why make it so its easier to break the lens. Overall I'm super happy with the evo. It's a great phone!

3. backdown

Agreed. I love my evo and i went a day without it..and let me tell you i dread if i ever have to do it again. The camera is annoying, but i think now that i have my protector over it ill be good.

4. brushrop03

brushrop03 Well-Known Member

umm....battery life

5. ekang

ekang Well-Known Member

Uhhhh...yea kinda agree. I got my phone's battery to where I have yet to have moment when I worry...."oh crap, running out of battery."

Considering the large display, the shear amount of antennas, and basically everything else about this beast, the battery drain is understandable.

While at work with background data off, 3g off, and syncs off, over 7 hrs, I lose about 3%

6. backdown

You can't really say anything about changing the battery life of it, until a company starts marketing a better battery. You should of had the moment..that thing did terrible on battery life.

7. jparker71

jparker71 Well-Known Member

A dedicated camera button on the side if the phone. My G1 had one and I got used to it. And that is literally my only complaint with the evo.

8. backdown

Yeah that would be nice to have, in the moments that i do need the camera i can't get to it fast enough:(

9. CriticalCritic

CriticalCritic Well-Known Member

10. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns! VIP Member

just keep in mind that most of the things in everyone's wishlist is not implemented because of some engineering limitation OUTSIDE of the phone.

Thinks like call sound quality... that's pretty much a limitation of the protocol the voice data uses, and it affects ALL cell phones of all carriers. Not something you can change for the Evo only. Why hasn't the protocol changed? Did you know that in the days of land lines, the phone company purposely added a hiss so that you could tell you were actually connected to someone? When the hiss was removed, you would think the call disconnected if the other person was silent.

Better battery. Hmm, if you used your evo as only an mp3 player, that battery can last over a week with 24/7 usage. This assumes that you've turned off all radios and data syncs. So.. battery life is basically determined by how much you use your phone. If you do nothing but turn-by-turn navigation on a cloudy day, your battery will drain completely in an hour. And if you want a better battery anyway, you have to wait until some chemical engineer discovers a more efficient chemistry than Li-Ion and wait until that chemistry is production-ready.

That said, requests like a non-protruding camera is perfectly valid. I'd request only a 3 megapixel chip, but use higher quality sensors instead. I'd also like to be able to record, stop, record, etc. and keep it all under one file until I close the camcorder app.

11. skipbrown

skipbrown Well-Known Member

Mine too.... and it drives me nuts.

12. Essex

Essex Well-Known Member

You know what? Other than a trackpad (and maybe a dedicated camera button), I am satisfied with the EVO's hardware. My issue is software related. Specifically, I am not feeling the Facebook/People integration on 2.1 or 2.2. As a former (proud) Hero owner, I miss the implementation of Facebook and it's integration with contacts. I think HTC's take on Android 1.5 had it right, and I'd be perfectly happy if Facebook worked on my EVO exactly the same as it did on the Hero...

13. backdown

How was the Hero's different?