• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What class Micro SD card to use?

I was wondering the same think a few days ago so I did some online research. I came across some info that says anything over class 4 in a phone is actually hurting day to day performance. Basically what I read was that the higher class cards get higher read/write speeds to the detriment of RAM speeds. They say the only time the higher class is useful in a phone is if you transfer large amounts of data on a regular basis.

edit*** here is the quote

Class 2 and 4 cards have better random access speed and random read/write than class 6 or 10 cards in general. To get higher sequential write speeds, manufacturers sacrifice the random access speeds. That's just how it is.
The best all around card I've ever found is Sandisk class 4.
My 32gb Sandisk class 4 outperforms any other class 10 or 2 32gb card I've tested in the random access and random read/write speeds. That's what's most important when using with WP7 or Android when using it for apps or OS files that need to be accessed quickly. Class 6 and 10 cards are setup to initialize the area of the card that is about to be used to make the sequential write/read quicker, but it takes extra time in the beginning to do the initialization. If your using the card where you need to access small bits of info from various parts of card quickly, you will do best with class 2 or 4.
Most people seem to assume that the higher the class, the better the card is for everything, but that's not how it is. Different purposes need different kinds of speed... cards with higher sequential speeds have lower random speeds.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1150369

Upvote 0
Will using a class less than 10 stop the video recorder from giving best quality?
Will a class 4 card work OK?
How about watching HD movies which are stored on the card?

Class 10 will give you the best speed gains. You can get a 64GB one on Amazon frequently on sale for around $40. They've done it twice in the past 2 months and I expect to see it again in November.

Upvote 0
I got that 64gb sandisk ultra...for my Note1 but then i dropped it on its glass...whilst away for repair it is in my new Note 10.1...but I want something for my Note 2...if class 4 is OK then i'll leave my 32gb class 10 in my Sony camera..the videos from that are great..

Class 4 is OK but only older ones support up to it. If your phone can support higher speeds, which it can, I say go for it.

Read this

Upvote 0
Bumping this thread because it's the most related to my question.

Anybody seen the threads on XDA regarding issues with the Class 10 cards? There's a complaint about partitioning, but I'm not exactly sure what the issue is (it's not really explained in more detail as to what the problem is).

I've never fully comprehended the difference between ExFAT, FAT32, or NTFS. The most I've understood is that certain formats don't allow for some devices to identify the card/storage.

That said, can anybody explain what the issue is, in layman terms? I'm trying to wrap my head around the exact issue because I seriously haven't had any issues with my card and I have around 40gb worth of data on there.

Upvote 0
Just bought Sandisk 64GB class 10 for my Note 2. Not working. Loaded 29GB of tunes on it and they played intermittently then all files just disappeared from card after 2 minutes of use. $%##$%$!!!

Card was pre-formatted from Sandisk with exFat. Re-format didn't help. Called Sandisk and they are aware of incompatibility with the class 10 64GB card and the original Note but were not aware of any issues with the Note 2. They offered to replace it with a class 6 version which they said would work without issue but I've already opted to return it to Amazon.

I still want a 64GB card but will have to do a little more digging on other alternatives out there. Cheers!

Upvote 0
Just bought Sandisk 64GB class 10 for my Note 2. Not working. Loaded 29GB of tunes on it and they played intermittently then all files just disappeared from card after 2 minutes of use. $%##$%$!!!

Card was pre-formatted from Sandisk with exFat. Re-format didn't help. Called Sandisk and they are aware of incompatibility with the class 10 64GB card and the original Note but were not aware of any issues with the Note 2. They offered to replace it with a class 6 version which they said would work without issue but I've already opted to return it to Amazon.

I still want a 64GB card but will have to do a little more digging on other alternatives out there. Cheers!

Ooh, that's not good. I might just swap back to my Class 6 because of this. I haven't noticed any problems up until now, but since it does seem to be a running issue, I might just swap back to my Class 6 that I have sitting around (waiting for a tablet to be used with).

When/how did you notice that the files just completely disappeared?

Upvote 0
Probably a faulty card and not the actual devices fault.

That's the thing, I've been reading so many mixed reviews about it, that I don't know what to believe. I haven't noticed any issues so far. The worst I've seen is when transferring some files over using the PC, it would give me a notification that the file would need to be "converted" and "might not work." There are some files that I knew wouldn't be compatible though. Nontheless, I was able to transfer over all the most important things (to me) and haven't had an issue (or noticed).

I may try to fill up the card as close to capacity as possible, just to see what happens with those files (then delete afterwards). Only reason I'm hesitant to do that is it would take a long time.

Upvote 0
Ooh, that's not good. I might just swap back to my Class 6 because of this. I haven't noticed any problems up until now, but since it does seem to be a running issue, I might just swap back to my Class 6 that I have sitting around (waiting for a tablet to be used with).

When/how did you notice that the files just completely disappeared?

Right after I fired up PlayerPro. Started up a playlist of about 200 tunes and it would play about one second of a tune and then skip to the next track. Play a second again and then skip to the next track. Over and over. Closed the app, rebooted the phone and 29GB of tunes... Gone.

I tried to reformat the card in Win7 and no luck. Won't complete the format. Card is either defective or I've read online that other users are having issues with Win7 and these cards as well. Either way, card is being returned as I have zero confidence in it. My 32GB class 10 g.skill card is back in the phone and working like a charm.

Reactions: drexappeal
Upvote 0
Right after I fired up PlayerPro. Started up a playlist of about 200 tunes and it would play about one second of a tune and then skip to the next track. Play a second again and then skip to the next track. Over and over. Closed the app, rebooted the phone and 29GB of tunes... Gone.

I tried to reformat the card in Win7 and no luck. Won't complete the format. Card is either defective or I've read online that other users are having issues with Win7 and these cards as well. Either way, card is being returned as I have zero confidence in it. My 32GB class 10 g.skill card is back in the phone and working like a charm.

Thanks for that info. As a fail safe, I actually formatted the card in the phone (once I placed it in there). Seemed to work fine, but I guess I'll have to keep my eye out on any issues with any of the mp3's I loaded onto it. So far, it's been fine.

Upvote 0

No problems with the same card in my note 2. Worked out of the box

Upvote 0
Bumping this thread because it's the most related to my question.

Anybody seen the threads on XDA regarding issues with the Class 10 cards? There's a complaint about partitioning, but I'm not exactly sure what the issue is (it's not really explained in more detail as to what the problem is).

I've never fully comprehended the difference between ExFAT, FAT32, or NTFS. The most I've understood is that certain formats don't allow for some devices to identify the card/storage.

That said, can anybody explain what the issue is, in layman terms? I'm trying to wrap my head around the exact issue because I seriously haven't had any issues with my card and I have around 40gb worth of data on there.

The issues come about because sdxc cards come formatted as exFAT per the standard and many devices don't recognize it, also even though FAT32 can support up to 2 terabytes ever since XP Microsoft has removed the capability to format FAT32 at more than 32GB. You will need to use a 3rd party app to format your 64 GB card under Windows so that your phone can recognize it. I just used Easus partition manager which is free for personal use on my 64 GB class 10 UHS-1 SanDisk Ultra and have had absolutely no issues. My random writes average 11.8 MB/s and my reads are almost 30, so at least with this card your not sacrificing high speed for high capacity. Even with 4G speed I'd rather have my media stored locally as opposed to the cloud. All this being said a high quality class 6 card will easily keep up with full HD video but for about $10 difference on a 64GB card why not future proof?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones