• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What cool or interesting things do you use your Nexus 7 for?

suavemike

Lurker
Aug 16, 2012
I'm just curious as to what other people use their nexus 7 for. I love my new toy but I don't really know what to do with it. I do some light web browsing on it and play a few games but so far I haven't found anything to really justify the purchase. I hardly ever read any books so thats not really an option. I LOVE to play games but I haven't found anything so far that has held my attention span for more than 10 minutes. (angry birds, dead trigger, tank hero, wind up knight, amazing alex, riptide, defender 2, etc...).

I've sat out on my deck and enjoyed a movie off of netflix and that was enjoyable but I just really want to find some use for it that I can say. Yes, now this is why I bought this thing....

I primarily use mine as an ebook reader. I'm still trying to decide if I like FB Reader or Moon+Reader the best, but it has definitely displaced my kindle (epaper version, not kindle fire). I've been taking the opportunity of having a nice ebook reader to get all my hardcopy books I can find epub versions for off my shelves and into storage so I have enough space on the shelves to clean up clutter on other flat surfaces around the house :).

My original motivation was to do android development, which will probably still happen, but I've been spending too much time playing with it to go back to work learning android.

Upvote 0
I check the weather (I could look outside)
I check my email (I have a PC in front of me)
I watch 7" movies (I have a 60" TV in the next room)
I take pictures (I have a Canon Rebel)
I edit pictures (I have PSE on my PC)
I play games (when I should be working)
I spends hours customizing screens (when I should be working)
I make GrooveIP calls (when I have a cell phone and land line in my office)
I spent $250 (when I could have bought 100 Big Macs!)

Upvote 0
Comic books.

Of course, "cool and interesting" is subjective. For a comic book geek like me, reading comic books on my Nexus 7 is the best. Comixology's panel-to-panel "guided view" sucks me into the story and art better than ink & paper. And the screen is beautiful! Dare I say electronic comic books and graphic novels are better than ink & paper? Yes, I dare.

Upvote 0
Dare I say electronic comic books and graphic novels are better than ink & paper? Yes, I dare.

Oooh....I'm sure thems fighting words to a comic geek somewhere.

My kids Skype with their grandparents (who also have a Nexus 7) and that is really cool and interesting. I love how light and portable the Nexus 7 is for skypeing.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Upvote 0
I've replaced my bed side alarm clock with the N7. Using alarm droid. Like that it has voice for time and weather in the morning. Been trying to find a local news feed as an alarm but haven't found one. I may use tasker to launch tuneIn radio instead. After I get up, I use google now to see if I am better off driving into work or taking mass transit.

On travel, I use google maps if in the U.S., nav free when I can't tether.

Currently, I have it on at work to watch the U.S. Open. It sits right in front of my keyboard and below my monitor. :)

Was using it to take notes at work but I find the type of stylus available is not very conducive for work.

Upvote 0
I wish there was a way for it to work with 3G, chances are I'll be using my N7 and have forgotten to turn wifi on on my phone! Still think I'll buy it..

Well I use Green Power which switches off WiFi when the phone sleeps, so for Tablet Talk I use Bluetooth. Plus Bluetooth uses less battery than WiFi and it will work when away from any WiFi hotspot.

Upvote 0
The N7's 7" form factor is perfect for mobile use.
I'm on the move daily as I operate an onsite computer service and the N7 replaces my laptop as it has great mobility and long battery life.
In between service calls I can use it in my car or in a Coffee shop or Macdonalds and surf the Internet etc.
At home I can use it while watching the TV during commercial breaks.
At breakfast I use it to read up online newspapers and check up forums.
In bed I use it to surf the Net and watch videos.

The N7 has become the most used tech device I owned.

Upvote 0
hmmm its generally a media consumption device for me.

I use Zinio to read mags (mainly cycling/MTB!)
Flipboard to bring all the feeds from FB and Twitter and other streams (again mainly cycling themed!)
I have loaded movies and music though amazon mp3 and google music cloud services dont work in the UK!!!!!!!! grrrrrrrrrrr:mad:
I will be using it for work, experimenting with bluetooth headset for note taking/dictation more on this will be posted up.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones