• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What costs what exactly?

Im 17 and I just got a Sony Ericsson X10 2 days ago. I can't check my usage yet for some reason, it's saying there's technical difficulties.
I get 200 mb (is that a lot, i don't know) a month in downloads, but what I'm wondering is what is using it up. I get free facebook so that's not a problem. But what about things like Timescape, or even downloading free apps from the Market? Whenever Timescape updates with facebook, is that costing me?

I really need to know, coz I'm scared of using it :/

Thanks.

I use an app called 3g watchdog. You can enter in your monthly allowances, the only thing you need to check is your refresh day for your allowance. Mine is first of month for data but 14th for texts and calls. You can ask yours carrier for this and then how much you have used so far this month and then manually set this to start the app with til your month starts again.

Upvote 0
You'll burn through that 200MB pretty quickly if you don't keep an eye on it. Make sure you use Wifi when you're at home and you should be fine. AT&T will send you a text message when you are getting close to the 200MB. Keep in mind that most people tend to use A LOT of data the first couple of months as they are downloading apps from the market and dialing everything in. After awhile, you'll probably be using less data.

Upvote 0
You'll burn through that 200MB pretty quickly if you don't keep an eye on it. Make sure you use Wifi when you're at home and you should be fine. AT&T will send you a text message when you are getting close to the 200MB. Keep in mind that most people tend to use A LOT of data the first couple of months as they are downloading apps from the market and dialing everything in. After awhile, you'll probably be using less data.
You can count on one hand the amount of apps I've downloaded over my data connection as I use wireless to download stuff, or download to the laptop then transfer stuff over. All depends on what you need really, if your phone is the only connection to the internet then sure you'll burn through it, but if like me, and you're data is turned of most of the time as it's not needed, 200mb is more than enough.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones