What custom roms are available for the Sprint HTC Hero?

Last Updated:

1. droid51378

droid51378 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I am considering rooting my phone. I only want to root it if I am going to use a custom rom. Does this process make the phone smoother? Depending on the rom I use, will Sense ui or the HTC widgets still be available? What all different roms are available?

I have tried searching for htc hero roms, but all I ever get is a ton of G1 phones running a hero rom.

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. nick325i

nick325i Well-Known Member

Hop over to Hero CDMA - xda-developers

You'll find the 3-ish roms that are available.

You won't lose sense ui or htc widgets with most of the roms.

3. lv2bll

lv2bll Well-Known Member

ya go over to xda, flipzmode just released the new frest rom 1.0, also make sure you root to RA_heroc v1.5.1 recovery Youl loove it! very zippy

4. mroien

mroien Well-Known Member

Do you have a link where you can get the clear add on??

5. Herodroid

Herodroid Well-Known Member

6. boomhower

boomhower Well-Known Member

I am also using freshrom and really liking it so far. I had it loaded less than 24 hours of receiving my phone. I like it so far.

7. mroien

mroien Well-Known Member

Does anyone using the Fresh 1.0 ROM know what the blue E in a circle on the task bar means??

8. boomhower

boomhower Well-Known Member

I have been wondering the same thing myself as it was in the stock ROM too. I am sure it's in the owners manual but I haven't had a chance to look. I am betting it has something to do with location services but it is not GPS.

9. Herodroid

Herodroid Well-Known Member

It means you're connected with Ev-Do (3G)

10. liddellw1

liddellw1 New Member

Does the instructions for rooting the Hero to add the Fresh ROM apply to the Cellular South HTC Hero or just to the Sprint Hero? Also, does rooting the phone increase the battery time and allow for apps to be put on the sdcard?

Thanks

Willie (Newb)

11. d1g1taLph3r3t

d1g1taLph3r3t New Member

According to the page at Five Great Reasons to Root Your Android Phone - Android rooting - Lifehacker it says that the Cyanogen rom actively works the phones CPU, RAM and memory partitions harder so you may need to locate an aftermarket extended life battery for your phone. Although the Cyanogen rom is built for the U.S.-based G1 and myTouch 3G phones, the speed improvements and increased battery drain may apply to all custom roms for all Android phones.

At the same page I listed above, a member [Ph0Xy] says that rooting an Android phone allows you to install apps2sde.

To enable the apps2sd feature in your G1 and MyTouch phone head on over to How to manually partition your SD card for Android Apps2SD