• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What date do you believe the EVO 4G will go on sale?

What date do you believe the EVO 4G will go on sale?

• May 22/23

Votes: 43 27.2%
  • May 29/30

Votes: 16 10.1%
  • June 5/6

Votes: 62 39.2%
  • June 12/13

Votes: 23 14.6%
  • July / August

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • None of the above

Votes: 10 6.3%

• Total voters
I believe you're the one that way back when told me there was no way the EVO would have HDMI output to an HDTV. You said everything was about the cloud from what I remember. That was you, wasn't it? Just asking :)

I never said there was no way it would ever have HDMI but I did comment on not understanding the benefit from it and still don't see myself using it regularly. Also thought Google would have restricted Android to using youtube for video sharing needs, but I guess that's just Apple kindof thinking.

My comment on the cloud was in response to your comment of using HDMI to "plug the phone into my DVD recorder through the HDMI port to record the movie on disk".. I said "I don't think Google or HTC have any interest in anything having to do with physical media. Everything in the "cloud" is the idea".

Upvote 0
I never said there was no way it would ever have HDMI but I did comment on not understanding the benefit from it and still don't see myself using it regularly. Also thought Google would have restricted Android to using youtube for video sharing needs, but I guess that's just Apple kindof thinking.

My comment on the cloud was in response to your comment of using HDMI to "plug the phone into my DVD recorder through the HDMI port to record the movie on disk".. I said "I don't think Google or HTC have any interest in anything having to do with physical media. Everything in the "cloud" is the idea".
Okay, Matt, I was only kidding with you. You're a great guy and I've enjoyed having you in the forum.

You did vote 'Yes', right?
Bill

Upvote 0
i want to believe.. i realy want to. i voted no, because i realy cant see Sprint actually doing something smart for once..
no expectations, no disappointments
Don't be silly, Dylan. What are you basing your opinion on? " i realy cant see Sprint actually doing something smart for once". What does that mean? I know you're only 17, but I think you want the phone as bad as I do. Why be so negative about Sprint? They're a good company and the EVO 4G is going to be the best smartphone around for quite awhile. You don't have to apologize to your dad or your uncle or anybody else because they prefer Apple. Believe me, they're going to be envious of you in a few short weeks.

I voted no at first thought, but after reading some, I think I may have just not voted cause I really don't know. From what I read here, it seems as if its possible and makes sense.
Right now it's about 50/50 and that's fine. It really doesn't matter, because this is all for fun anyway.

Upvote 0
After messing with the Incredible for about 25 minutes today and then checking out the screen on an HD2 at Tmobile:

Can you say, I'M STOKED TO GET THE EVO!!!!

Problem is I don't think I'll be getting it on May 22nd or sooner. :)

I hope, hope like you can't believe, that it will launch sooner than later, but who knows with these things. I think Bill has made an excellent case for why it could happen, but alas, none of us work for Sprint and are making these decisions. :(

What we have to believe/trust in Sprint, is that they are seriously turning around the sorry (earned) reputation they have had as a company and are getting serious about providing excellent phones, service, plans, and coverage.

With the direction they have gone, it is enough to pull me over from Verizon for a better phone (EVO), better plan and cost ($69.99 Unlimited), I just hope they have the EVO ready to go ASAP and have the systems in place to back it up.

Like I said, I'm hoping for the 22nd, but hope doesn't get it done. :)

In the meantime, the wait is going to continue to kill me.

Upvote 0
i can't decide if the evo will launch early but bill brings up some interesting points. i too think releasing anytime during the week of june 6 would be a colossal effup trying to go up against the iphone hype machine but at the same time i really don't put it past sprint to do it anyways.

i feel apple has really forced sprint's hand and have basically centered the tech world around them for the entire month of june between their conference and imminent release of the iphone. (3gs was released just 2 weeks after announcement).

i do agree that they HAVE to release before the iphone and preferably before the announcement of the next iphone. they have to release the evo before the iphone is announced to get people to switch over to sprint (like myself) or face the possibility that we might just stay wherever we are.

as far as may 22nd is concerned it's as good a time as any imo. if the phone is indeed ready like a lot of people are saying it would behoove sprint to get it into people's hands asap regardless of whether or not it's "perfect" ie it doesn't need froyo at launch. i say release it with 2.1 and deal with froyo later with an ota update. also who cares if all the 4g networks aren't up yet? it still works on 3g right? the switch for nyc is supposedly ready to be flipped and eieio said la is pretty much ready to go as well. those are the most important markets to have at launch and as long as they're ready the other cities can wait (except the sf bay area which needs to be ready asap after ny and la).

i don't put too much credence into the 28th being a bad launch date because of memorial day because the people who want the evo first will do what it takes to get it regardless of the holiday. by they time we're through it'll be sold out for mr casual joe blow who will have to wait till the next shipment.

Upvote 0
I voted yes!

I am a believer!

Come on Sprint exceed the expectations. It would be cool if they were planing this from the beginning, giving a false BS rumor date of June, just to see who would bite. Either way I think the 22nd is too good of an opportunity to pass up, even if 4G isn't up anywhere. If 4G is further along than expected and NY and LA are going to be lit up soon, then I think they should release it earlier. I think Sprint can get away with having limited 4G coverage so long as NY and LA are up, because those are huge markets.

22nd is a perfect date for release so Sprint doesn't have to compete with Apple for media coverage....though the date may be too perfect....

We'll see what happens, I can't wait!!!

Upvote 0
i say they should now release it on the 12th. cuz that's just crazy. a media blitz AND a release. or even on the 17th....but i'd prefer 12th =)

what if that's one of the surprises Dan has?

....it could happen.....

Dont forget that there will be people getting the evo 10 days early so the 12th or 17th wouldn't make sense those people wont be getting it before the media event.

Upvote 0
you should do a poll with the 22nd 29th 5th and 12th all in it and let everyone vote I guarantee its one of those days.. I may know.. I may not but I do know its one of those days. Little birdy hinted to me this morning lol so thats all I am saying dont bother asking the exact date lol but it is one of those days I was told.

Sorry - I voted "Nay". with Jackson and SelfPraise saying no - I gotta go with the 2 most reliable sources.

so you go with the 2 sources that have given no real info except what is known and who re-phrase their info over and over. Wow I dont like politicans but i guess this website loves them

Upvote 0
you should do a poll with the 22nd 29th 5th and 12th all in it and let everyone vote I guarantee its one of those days.. I may know.. I may not but I do know its one of those days. Little birdy hinted to me this morning lol so thats all I am saying dont bother asking the exact date lol but it is one of those days I was told.

so you go with the 2 sources that have given no real info except what is known and who re-phrase their info over and over. Wow I dont like politicans but i guess this website loves them

Based on my logic puzzle prowless - I say - start a new poll - but WITHOUT the 22nd.

Upvote 0
I like the idea of trying to hook as many people into an EVO as well as a fresh 2 year agreement before the new iphone gets all of them. Plus all of the people coming off of their pre contracts right? That seems to be one of the variables in some peoples predictions for release dates.
Wait, were the Pre users on 1 year contracts? Cuz it just came out last June, right? They still have another year left before sprint has to worry about giving them a good deal on a new phone :p

Upvote 0
When SP came into the EVO thread today, he put an end to the notion of a May 22nd release, but later said May 23rd was a possibility. Why didn't he just say the 23rd was more accurate in the first place instead of discrediting the idea? He also said the 30th was a possibility, but come on, is it the 23rd or is the 30th? I have no problem with the 23rd, but the 30th is right in the middle of Memorial Day weekend. Since that is one of our heaviest travel periods, I have to think a lot of people are going to be away. I also think it's too close to the apple thing and there isn't enough time to get a campaign rolling before apple starts grabbing all the media attention.

I really like what Cary said and can't help think that since Sprint is a NASCAR sponsor, that fast cars and a fast phone would go together nicely. I know SP is still the inside guy, but he doesn't work for Sprint, so I have to believe May 22nd could still work. May 23rd works for me too, but not quite as well as the 22nd.
Sprint released the Pre on June 6, 2009 a Saturday. May 22 is a Saturday. Hmm :)

Oh also, Sprint is a huge sponsor of NASCAR. May 22 is the SPRINT NASCAR all star race. What better way to launch and advertise a FAST 4G phone than on NASCAR LOL

Just sayin...I want to believe.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones