What determines the carrier?General

1. death2twitter

death2twitter Well-Known Member

So, we can replace the radios, the HBOOT, the rom, pretty much everything in the phone with that of the Sprint 3D. And yet, it still remains on Virgin Mobile.
    So, what exactly in the phone makes it connect to Virgin Mobile and not Sprint? Is there some super secret partition you can only access with some super secret command only available during a full moon whilst pointing the phone at Jupiter... or something? :D

Advertisement
  2. Mobstergunz

Mobstergunz Well-Known Member

Its more the Hard Coded settings then anything else like the Serial, ESN, and MEID....... Oh and your Phone Number :p
  3. death2twitter

Those are the things that are illegal (not to mention difficult) to change, correct?
  4. Mobstergunz

I would assume so since its the actual Phone part of your Smartphone and not the Operating System
  5. death2twitter

Makes sense - considering that, I apologize if this is in the wrong section, since it just occurred to me this may be a "How do cell phones work" question rather than anything specific to the Evo.
  6. Mobstergunz

Nah I think its a good question and something that might effect the Android System
  7. OverByter

OverByter Resident Slide Rule Guru

Unlike gsm which stores that information on a sim card, on a CDMA phone all of that information is stored in nvram which requires special software to access. Moved to the main forum.
    OB
  8. deathsled

deathsled Well-Known Member

The PRL tells a CDMA phone what towers/network to connect to. From there the phone identifies itself with its ESN and MEID
  9. SuperAfnan

SuperAfnan Well-Known Member

This is why gsm is better Imo. Unless someone thinks otherwise.. :p
  10. Austrie

Austrie Well-Known Member

Wrong, GSM is better because they have faster speeds...
  11. SuperAfnan

SuperAfnan Well-Known Member

Sim cards can let you swap phones easier among other carriers. Flashing this to boost via cdma workshop is no easy task.
  12. EazySteve

EazySteve Well-Known Member

Why flash to boost?