What DID you do for the Super Bowl?

Last Updated: 2013-02-04 19:54:52
  1. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique VIP Member

You guys have one of the best in the nation! :D
    PIZZERIA MOZZA
    Would love to try it (and if we ever visit our in-laws who live outside of LA, I certainly will ;)).

People in Scotland watch the Superbowl!?!? :eek: ;)

Advertisement
  2. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!! Moderator

oh wow how did i miss that place? gonna have to try that some day. i wonder if they deliver?:D
  3. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique VIP Member

Eh, likely no! :p
    IIRC, it was opened by famed baker Nancy Silverton and Mario Batali. :)
    ocnbrze likes this.
  4. sntaylor

sntaylor Well-Known Member Contributor

Lol.... yeah I've caught most of the last couple.... don't watch many games, but I know I'm not alone(well I might be on this site!) As a janitor at my work is a big sea hawks fan!

Will see if I have any extra shifts(coaching rugby!) The next day, and if not, I'll probs watch it...back shift is good for some things :p
  5. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Well-Known Member

There are Seachicken fans outside of Seattle??:confused::confused:

Even here when they are losing all the fans go into hiding, one of the primary reasons I hate them so much! That and because they have never won anything, thier greatest accomplishment is going to a Super Bowl and losing. Yet, the fans sure do act like they have the greatest NFL team in history if they win more than 8 games in a year :rolleyes:
    ocnbrze likes this.
  6. jludwig57

jludwig57 Well-Known Member

The power of the internet...

But I will probably being doing homework or something. Life of a college student.
  7. unnamedny

unnamedny Well-Known Member

I'll be also watching "30 for 30:Broke" =)
  8. NightHawk877

NightHawk877 Well-Known Member

I'll be chilling with my girlfriend. She doesn't watch football and neither do I.
  9. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

What's a superbowl?
  10. chrlswltrs

The greatest sporting event in the history of the world...
    ocnbrze likes this.
  11. ocnbrze

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!
  12. Speed Daemon

Speed Daemon Disabled

These days "super" is just too plain. I'm waiting for the Ultra Bowl...
  13. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

It's not going to be shown on Chinese TV though. In fact CCTV(China Central TV) doesn't show any NFL football at all. Totally unlike NBA basketball, that's always on. It's not for the want of trying though. The NFL has spent some serious $$$$$ trying to promote gridiron football here, with exhibition matches, expensive shopping mall and department store promotions, NFL China website, etc, but so far it's been an almost complete fail. They tried to do the same in Europe years ago, with NFL Europe and their own leagues, that's dead.

Think the problem is, it's difficult and costly to implement properly at the school and college level, so hardly anyone is playing it. Plus it can be difficult to understand and follow what's going on as well, especially if you're not brought up with it. I don't really understand it, although I'm British. It's like cricket, they don't play cricket in China either, apart from Hong Kong.

However some other imported games, like basketball, that's huge, all schools and colleges play it. And there's CBA(China Basketball Association) as well, that's always on TV here, along with NBA and KBA. Probably because it's easy to implement and play, and understand and follow what's going on. Snooker is very popular here and association football(soccer) is quite popular as well... there's a lot of Manchester United fans in China as well as LA Lakers fans... :rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China_Bowl
    The China Bowl was the name of a proposed National Football League (NFL) pre-season exhibition game that had been scheduled to take place in August 2007, but later postponed to 2009 and ultimately canceled,

http://shanghaiist.com/2007/04/02/nfl_in_china_no.php
    NFL in China: Not ****ing Likely

Even when I've tried to describe gridiron or American football to my students. They always say 橄榄球(Gǎnlǎnqi
    ocnbrze likes this.
  14. ocnbrze

too bad you do not have a slingbox here in the US. that way you can watch NFL over there via the internet or the slingbox app. my sister is a laker fan and she can watch games all the way in australia!!!

too bad she hates the nfl and will not be doing anything special over there.
  15. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

It's easy enough to watch Lakers games here, and Celtics, etc. as well as the Beijing Ducks and the Shanghai Sharks. CCTV5 is an almost dedicated basketball channel. Plus there's a heck of a lot of Kobe Bryant posters in the student dorms.

There's going to be some official NFL Superbowl parties...
    Official NFL Super Bowl Parties in China_???????_NFL??????
    ...no doubt that'll keep some of the expats happy. ;)

I'll be able to find a way to watch it. More than likely will be shown on the NFL China website. Although I'm not quite sure where I'm going to be on Monday morning, 4th Feb, we're on holiday now. :)

BTW we don't play baseball in China either. :D MLB had a go and spent some $$$$, but has no presence at all here now. And the one ballpark they had in Beijing, was pulled down just after the Olympics. My students do seem to know what baseball is, unlike gridiron. Although they don't play baseball. They're always playing basketball, and soccer sometimes.
  16. unnamedny

unnamedny Well-Known Member

except none gives a damn outside of US.
  17. sntaylor

sntaylor Well-Known Member Contributor

Bit like the world series just happens to only be played by one nationality! lol
  18. smethbet

smethbet New Member

She doesn't watch football and neither do I.[​IMG]
  19. Liamo_210

Liamo_210 Well-Known Member

Well maybe in america but for European people I say its between the World cup and the champions league final.
    Although I do watch the Superbowl every year. :thumbup: I can't wait we stay up all night watching it here as its on till from 12-6 am . :p:D:beer:
  20. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

Two nationalities.. I'm sure Canada(Toronto Blue Jays) takes part as well. :)
  21. chrlswltrs

It has been a while... So yeah, just one.
    :vroam:
  22. pastafarian

pastafarian Pâtes avec votre foie Moderator

I'm hoping to play tight end or at least left guard.....just waiting for the phone to ring!

:)
  23. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Well-Known Member

Watch it since the Pats didn't get in.

This one is being called the Bro Bowl already
  24. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin' Moderator

Use to be 2 (Montreal Expos), but now they're in DC.

Even still, Canadians tend to care much more about hockey. Europeans more about Soccer/Football.
  25. chrlswltrs

Looks like it might be a pretty good one this year... sibling rivalry at it's highest level.

I'm hoping Ray Lewis gets a ring before he retires.