What do I need to allow my phone to gain charge while using GPS in the car?

Last Updated:

1. spazma7ik

spazma7ik Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

The Verizon charger doesn't supply enough power to make up for what GPS uses, and I know I read of some kind of adapter that makes the car lighter output a higher charge for micro USB, but I can't seem to search for the right terms, can somebody help me?

Advertisement
  2. PreciousMetal

PreciousMetal Member

I bought the Motorola car dock. The car charger that came with it works great. GPS and charges at the Same time.

3. dougwilson2000

dougwilson2000 Well-Known Member

I have a Verizon charger and it does charge my phone while navigating. Of course it is slower to charge but it does charge. Maybe 1.5 hours from dead battery using GPS to full charge.

4. jamo

jamo Well-Known Member

I didn't know that a car charger came with the car dock; I was in the store to buy one and asked the salesman if it had a charger, and he said that it didn't. It wouldn't be a surprise, but did this guy just not know what he was talking about?

5. Grizzlybear

Grizzlybear Well-Known Member

A car charger does not come with the dock, they must have gotten one in a package deal when they got the phone.

And my car charger works just fine when using the GPS in the car dock as well, not to sure what the OP is talking about.

6. patrickandsarah

patrickandsarah New Member

Perhaps the OP experienced something along these lines:
    https://supportforums.motorola.com/message/123830?tstart=0

I encountered the same issue on a recent week-long road trip. The phone would charge for a while in GPS mode, but the charger would cut off with no notice and the battery begin draining. My phone was extremely hot to the touch, and this was driving through snowy, near-freezing NM, CO, and UT.

7. tec1ra

tec1ra Member

I got the bundle from Verizon with the car dock, home dock and verizon charger. No problems with keeping a charge while using GPS. In fact the verizon charger seems faster than home outlet, but I haven't quantified that claim.

8. OriginalGeek

OriginalGeek Active Member

That has been my experience (or at least my impression lol) with the last 3 or 4 phones I have had - all motorolas...

But yeah, as to OP, I've never had a problem using navigation while using the Verizon car charger - it stays ahead of the usage with no problem.

9. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Well-Known Member

My cheap off brand car charger works just fine to charge my Droid while using navigation, my only problem so far is how hot the phone gets. On a recent 6 hour road trip my Droid got extremely hot and even shut off twice due to overheating.

10. clos1084

clos1084 Well-Known Member

a car charger DOES come with the Car Dock
    Car Mount for DROID by Motorola - Motorola USA

11. mrthundercleese

mrthundercleese Well-Known Member

I've had this happen on a three hour road trip. For that one my device was not in the doc on the windshield so the sun wasn't really the major culprit. I've never experienced it with short (< 1hr) trips.

I call shenanigans. The box I received from Motorola did not contain a car charger :). I had to purchase it separately. It is possible that they may sell two variants.

12. Krugger

Krugger Well-Known Member

13. clos1084

clos1084 Well-Known Member

Thanks for clearing that up. I had no idea

14. LoBatt

LoBatt Well-Known Member

Same thing has happened to me twice. Seems to be on trips more than two hours. I assumed it was because I had it in a Seidio case and car dock - lots of insulation.

15. Lemurion

Lemurion Well-Known Member

I know the Moto car dock we bought at Best Buy did come with a car charger. I can't speak for anything else.