what do i need to turn off to stop automatic updates!?Support

1. tarab14

tarab14 New Member

I am very new to smartphones and have just bought the Samsung Galaxy Y, and put my old pay as you go simcard into it. the problem I have is that it has used the existing credit I have even though I have no apps or wi-fi running. I have figured out that data roaming costs so have disabled this, but it seems to be "packet data" that is causing the loss of credit. What is packet data, and how will it effect me using the phone if i turn it off? please help as i dont want to put any more credit on until i work out whats feeding off it!thanks in advance :)

Advertisement
    :
  2. gordy716

gordy716 New Member

Turning packet data off won't affect calls or texts it's only used for web stuff and mms.
    SylentEcho likes this.
  3. jcjsda

jcjsda New Member

Okay same problem. Just brought mine 8Jan , put into Apple Macbook and went to Android market and loaded all the good apps. Then top'd up account and loaded 20 and gone in one hour. Loaded 10 and gone in one hour. crazy but some programs run in background.

Took me a day, of leaving no credit on phone to figure it out.

Go to
    Settings
    Wireless and Networks
    Mobile Networks
    Network Mode
    GSM ONLY......select this.

This turns off your WCDMA (your 3G).

This should save you heaps of cash.....

Then when you feel rich, sure turn on your 3G back on by
    same page
    GSM/WCDMA (auto mode). ...select

Beware, if surfing on wifi area, starbucks , that it can flip over to 3G if your wifi is too slow. So don't assume (makes an ass of u & me) you are safe just on wifi.....

God bless
    John
    jcjsda