What do I need?General

1. SmoothMarx

SmoothMarx Member

Since I'm a new member in the forums, I was a little undecided in which section I should post this thread on. Hopefully, I was correct. I have two questions on the HTC Dream:

1. Is there any difference between the HTC Dream and the so-called T-Mobile G1, besides the possibility of ActiveSync? I mean, they're the same phone, but do they have restrictions?

2. I live in Portugal and the Dream isn't scheduled to come out here at all, since we're all moving on to the Magic. However, a physical QWERTY keyboard is a must for me. So, exactly what do I need to link up my foreign bought HTC? If I sign up for a data plan and a phone number, will I be able to use all of my phone's capabilities or do I have to pay attention to something else?

Thanks in advance for any upcoming answers.

Advertisement
    :
  2. I'm from Portugal too and have exactly the same doubts. Anyone can answer this? Many Thanks.
  3. noonehereyet

noonehereyet No One... VIP Member

First welcome to the forums...

1) HTC DREAM and TMO G1 are the same phone only difference would be the version of the Android build that is on it based on where you get the phone from... As far as restrictions go you are limited to what the build (origin) of the phone puts on it unless you root... Then you are free to change builds modify and adjust however you feel...

2) I really can't say as i do not know what the carriers provide by you...
  4. SmoothMarx

SmoothMarx Member

thank you for the welcoming. Always appreciated. :)

I didn't really understand the second answer, but if I got it right, it depends on what services the carrier provides. Well, I am not sure about it except I know Portugal (as well as Europe in general) doesn't provide EDGE. Other than that, I think it provides basically any other service you may need.

That's what I would like to know: What do I need my carrier to supply to guarantee to ensure a fully functional phone?

What services would I require my carrier to have to be able to use any application without restrictions?

Hope to hear any answer soon. :)
  5. SmoothMarx

SmoothMarx Member

ok... how does that help?
  6. punkzanyj

punkzanyj Well-Known Member

7. SmoothMarx

SmoothMarx Member

lol. i figured that. But no one knows the answer?
  8. justjimjpc

justjimjpc Premium Member VIP Member

To your question #2 ...

If your Service Carrier does not offer Edge or 3G ... you will find that you have almost not connection except for a very expensive phone ...

If you have just 3G and leave that area you are back to the same problem of a phone ....

The phone will work on GPRS but can imagine the wait on loading site and downloading apps and such ...
  9. SmoothMarx

SmoothMarx Member

So basically, all I need is to make sure I have a strong 3G network and everything else on the phone will work? sweet! thanks for your answer. Portugal has a good, stable 3G network I must say, as well as GPRS (probably won't be using it). No EDGE though, but you don't find that in this side of the pond :) So the Dream will work here! Can't wait for the price to go down.... MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
  10. justjimjpc

justjimjpc Premium Member VIP Member

LOL good luck .... :cool: :rolleyes: