What do you expect from Sprint's next 4G phone?

Last Updated:

1. FreakyLocz14

FreakyLocz14 Banned This Topic's Starter

What would you like to see?

Advertisement
  2. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Well-Known Member

Would love to see something like the Dell Streak...doubt it will happen though LOL.

3. Rigmaster

Rigmaster Well-Known Member

Don't care so much about specs - they'll take care of themselves. I just want to see Sprint stick with the unlimited plans and offer a LTE + Wimax + 3G phone with a 4.3" touchscreen. Pretty much just an upgrade to the Evo with LTE compatibility.

4. BenChase7

BenChase7 VIP Member VIP Member

I honestly cant think of much to change on the EVO. As long as the screen stays 4.3 inches on the next ANDROID phone, I'll be happy. Mostly just updated and refinements are all that need to be done. (as Rigmaster said) The specs will take care of themselves.

5. Woosh

Woosh Well-Known Member

Like you said...Not much to change on the Evo.

Next one should be smaller form factor. I love the look of the Nexus one. Something like that would be great; but replace the trackball.

I would want physical button to wake the device. Don't like having to hit top of the phone to turn it on.

Edit: Add Gingerbread, 4" screen, Super Amoled, No keyboard, Second Gen Snapdragon or dual core, and out before Christmas.

6. FreakyLocz14

Perhaps a Nexus Two with a physical QWERTY and a screen that rivals Super AMOLED. Also would like pixel density to match the iPhone 4's.

7. CriticalCritic

CriticalCritic Well-Known Member

How about 4.3", and New HTC Sense? Plus a DTV chip/antenna. Oh, and a dedicated camera button?

BTW, get widget locker, and use your volume keys to wake the phone instead of that damn top button.

8. Woosh

Woosh Well-Known Member

Im looking at my Evo and I can't see how they would be able to make a 4.3" without it being tad too big for me. I like the feel of the Vibrant and think 4" could be the perfect sweetspot. However I could be happy with less also. I just think Sprint needs a little more variety. Hopefully that will happen soon.

Thx for the widget locker idea. I will test it out. Of coarse now that I hold the phone I wish the volume was on the other side to wake it up.

9. ScorpDX

ScorpDX Well-Known Member

Hardware wise - The EVO suites my needs fine. A bigger battery that didn't require a ugly back would be nice. I'd even accept a slightly thicker phone overall to accomplish this.

Software wise - I'd like to see Google take a look at all the questions and "how do I do this" post and take all those "we can't really do that, sorry" answers and make a fix for it. There are a few things lacking that other phones can do. Many of them are small and seem like they just got overlooked.

10. twospirits

twospirits AF's janitor Moderator

The current EVO is basically fine. But it needs a better battery and add a sim card for overseas capability. Make the next one a world phone and it will be perfect.

TS

11. RiverOfIce

RiverOfIce Banned

Just want to make it clear. LTE is about 5-9 years away. The current "lte" is only hspa+. To build in a hspa+ module would be pointless, as it would not be allowed on hspa+ network. No more then any sprint phone is allowed to use it currently. Hspa+ is a good technology. But it is very limited when it comes to a lot of people. If you want a lte/wimax phone, you are going to have to wait about 5-9 years to use it. Once again, lte is still years away from deployment. I want only one thing, wimax version 2 radio.

twospirits likes this.
  12. FreakyLocz14

How is Verizon be building an LTE network if they use CDMA and not GSM? Only T-Mobile is using HSPA+ for their 4G network. HSPA and HSPA+ are GSM technologies.

13. RiverOfIce

RiverOfIce Banned

Because cdma and gsm are NOT hspa+. Hspa+ needs a different radio then cdma. Att, tmobile, and verizon are going to use lte, which is why pre-lte is going to use hspa+. Please understand that hspa+, lte, wimax, pre-lte, gsm, and cdma are completely different. Att is using hspa+ interface and pre-lte is using hspa+ interface. Just like sprint and verizon both currently use cdma and att and tmobile use gsm.

14. FreakyLocz14

In order for Verizon to use HSPA+, they would need to have SIM cards in their phones. Verizon phones don't have SIM cards. Maybe they are really using EVDO Rev. B or C as their Pre-LTE?

15. Woosh

Woosh Well-Known Member

Their current phones don't have Sim cards. I remember reading somewhere that once they go LTE their phones will have Sim cards to take advantage of LTE.

16. FreakyLocz14

Just one problem with that. If Verizon does use GSM HSPA+ for their 4G technology, then how will the phone be able to use 3G when not in a 4G market?

17. Woosh

Woosh Well-Known Member

Well I am no phone maker but I am sure there is a way for it to work both ways.

Otherwise I couldn't imagine them going to LTE unless they did it in one fell swoop. Because its unlikely they are going to put out a phone to take advantage of LTE if it will only work on LTE. Just wouldn't happen from a company that touts how great their coverage is.

Edit: http://www.infosyncworld.com/reviews/cell-phones/apple-iphone-4-for-verizon-wireless/11217.html

That mentions that there are chips in the works to handle both technologies. Gonna Google and read a bit more on it because I'm curious myself.

18. RiverOfIce

RiverOfIce Banned

Not going to run around in circles. You do not have to have a sim card for gsm and you can have a sim card for cdma. (Siemens, Philips, and Samsung all produce cdma sim cards.) Same goes for evdo and hspa+. It is how the phone interacts with the tower, not the technology use in the phone. Evdo Rev. B or C is not hspa+ data, please stop guessing. LTE is going to use the same hspa+ interactions with the tower as tmobile does. It is also going to have the same limitations. This will require a new radio for all Verizon phones. Att and tmobile already start to use the radios, but verizon has not. LTE-A is a different system that requires a different radio. In the near future, you will not have sim cards. With lte-a you will never have sim cards. Wimax it is less clear. But the use of sim cards are not depend on the technology, but what the company chooses to use to track you.

19. RiverOfIce

RiverOfIce Banned

Because it is a pass through technology, Simply but the phone will just use 3g, when no 4g is found, passing through the same tower. But it will never be 4g technology, no 3g with a boost when there is no traffic.

20. RiverOfIce

RiverOfIce Banned

twospirits likes this.
  21. FreakyLocz14

So if Verizon's LTE is just "3G with a boost", then it won't support voice and data sessions at the same time?

22. RiverOfIce

RiverOfIce Banned

Yes it SHOULD support voice and data at the same time. It will not be the cdma radio. It will be a different radio. But of course cdma supports voice and data and no one uses that, so who knows.

23. badankles

badankles Well-Known Member

a webOS phone on 4G

24. Eazail70x7

Eazail70x7 Well-Known Member

25. FreakyLocz14