What do you lose when you ROOT

1. skunkd

skunkd Well-Known Member

I heard rumors that if you root you lose a few things such as 4g, camera issues, and market place issues... any comments?

Advertisement
  2. MisterEd

MisterEd Well-Known Member

Nope.
  3. freeza

freeza Well-Known Member

rooting will essentially clear storage on your phone. however, you won't lose anything by it until you flash a rom.
  4. dandm4life

dandm4life Well-Known Member

yea, the only rom out now is stock with superuser permissions. That's the only difference.
  5. jblazea50

jblazea50 Well-Known Member

do you void your warranty when you root?
  6. dandm4life

dandm4life Well-Known Member

yes, but you can easily go back to stock
  7. koolhand79

koolhand79 Well-Known Member

I seem to have lost the ability to tether. Even with the Market app wireless tether. anyone else experiencing this??
  8. Colorado_Al

Colorado_Al Well-Known Member

Lost WiFi tether here too. Still able to USB tether.
  9. Gryphin81

Gryphin81 Member

Same here
  10. mudrock1000

mudrock1000 Well-Known Member

Lose your soul :O
    DUN DUN DUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN :p

Na ok here lemme explain. Go download astro and go up as far as you can until you are at the root of your device. Go into any folder other than SD card and it will say it is empty. Rooting allows these files to be seen and accessed. However, by the phone maker, it is hidden by default for warranty sakes. Rooting allows your device to access these files, other apps to do so and etc, also can often improve your device speed.
  11. Gryphin81

Gryphin81 Member

Nice post thanks
  12. somdave2005

somdave2005 Member

Do you have to reinstall all your apps when you root a phone? Like installing a new rom on windows mobile?
  13. lyons238

lyons238 Well-Known Member

im wondering the same. i think you do. i got mybackup thing incase you do. also does the marketplace save all of your apps?
  14. Colorado_Al

Colorado_Al Well-Known Member

Yes.
  15. ninatikky

ninatikky Member

After rooting my EVO using the instruction on this forum, I was unable to us 4g anymore. As soon as I connect to 4g, I can't browse internet or do anything. If I switch back to 3g, it works. Could someone help me on this please?
  16. lath19

lath19 Member

Just to confirm, my phone will remain activated to the Sprint network after rooting and installing another ROM correct? I've seen the phrase "wipes everything" a few times but I don't believe this erases the MSL data.
  17. lite blue

lite blue Well-Known Member

I lost about an hour, but it was time well spent (wife may not agree)
  18. duongld

duongld Member

I am glad to see there are a few people in this forum got a good sense of humor.;)
  19. HoustonTX

HoustonTX New Member

I downloaded cynagengod or whatever that's called and I've lost the entire android marketplace icon.
  20. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns! VIP Member

Google Apps (market is one of them) are not bundled with cyanogen (and other ROMS) for legal reasons. But it's usually another file along with CM7 that you flash, and you get the Market, Gmail, Maps, etc.