What do you think?

Last Updated:

1. jmims

jmims Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

The three latest smartphones to hit the market--Incredible, Evo, and iPhone 4--are all having stock issues. They're the latest, greatest, and best to date and everyone is vying for them. We're seeing delays all over the place, and in the case of iPhone 4, which isn't even released yet, I think they even ran out of pre-orders and delayed shipment. Now, two out of these three are, of course, Android and this article seen in several places 'round the net--http://phandroid.com/2010/06/23/android-now-at-160000-activations-per-day-65000-market-apps/--is a testament to Android's fast growing popularity in the cellphone market. With all that said, I'm pretty sure we'll see the same thing happen with the Droid X; believe me, I hope it doesn't cuz I wanna get my grubby little hands on one too. Hopefully Motorola will have the foresight and the ability to have quite a quantity of launch stock, but I doubt it. Only time will tell.

Advertisement
  2. Vihzel

Vihzel Destroying Balls Everyday VIP Member

I think most of Verizon's customers went to the Incredible. I'm sure that sucked up a lot of people. I don't expect the Droid X to sell as much because of the screen size niche and because of the reason I stated above.

3. Piiman

Piiman Well-Known Member

I'm still with in my 30 days:D:rolleyes:

4. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

I think Motorola will have enough in stock. They're not relying on any hard to get parts like the Incredible's AMOLED screen.

Also, I don't think Verizon would have upgraded everyone's eligibility if they didn't think they had enough to sell.

5. Curt941

Curt941 Well-Known Member

Plus motorola is a much larger company then HTC, which is releasing multiple smart phones at one time (Incredible, EVO 4G, Aria, etc.) so they spread themselves kind of thin.

Motorola is focusing on the Droid X, so i don't think stock will be a huge problem.

6. jmims

jmims Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I think they would, just so that they could make the sale. It's all about the money.

Indeed Motorola is a large company, but look at Apple. They're bigger than Motorola for sure and look at the issues over in that camp.

7. Curt941

Curt941 Well-Known Member

Yeah, but Apple has a rabid fan base, and pre sold 600k phones, so it's kind of hard to compare the two. Plus apple is kind of hindered because they use alot of proprietary parts on their phones (screen, processor, case/antenna, etc.)

8. darreno1

darreno1 Well-Known Member

Possibly, however because they've relaxed the early upgrade restrictions, the positive buzz I'm seeing around the various forums, and the fact that Motorola did well with the original Droid (even CNN tech who's pretty much owned by Steve Jobs mentioned it) I think it will do quite well and could very well lead to shortages. I'm so pissed I can't take advantage of the early upgrade :(. I might resort to crying and begging. Hopefully they'll have pity on me.

9. Fabolous

Apple is also doing a simultaneous launch in 5 continents. The Droid X is for one carrier in the USA, albeit the largest carrier, but still...

10. ckochinsky125

ckochinsky125 Banned

I think they will be somewhat easier to get as there wont be as much of a rush for a phone that is that big alone will deter some, not to mention all of the people who got an incredible and do not want to dish out the $500+ it would cost to buy full retail

11. ckochinsky125

ckochinsky125 Banned

I agree with this maybe this is the reason they changed the screen to lcd to prevent these shortages since not nearly as many phones use this type of screen

12. Fabolous

Nah, Motorola never intended to use AMOLED, which I'm glad for.

I think AMOLED is a buzz word on the same level as Snapdragon (that's not a compliment). Sure it's bright, but it's oversaturated, the colors aren't realistic at all, and it has a "fake" 800x480 resolution since there aren't as many subpixels. This results in text that is not as crisp.

Until AMOLED technology advances, I would still prefer the TFT LCD, though the "Super" AMOLED on the Galaxy S is looking much better (still outrageous color reproduction though)

13. Proph

Proph Well-Known Member

interesting view point, to each their own. having had a couple of devices with AMOLED screens (zune hd, incredible) i almost can't stand some LCD based screens (omnia 2,iphone 3gs), they look grainy and the colors washed out, the eris doesn't look too bad to me but i still notice. that being said not all LCDs are created equal either and i can't wait to actually see the X in person on the 15th.