• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What do you use to listen to music?

Mehta23

Android Expert
Nov 28, 2011
England,UK
gadgetblur.com
Just wanted to know what everyone uses to listen to their music (mainly interested on their phones)

Seeing as I don't have the time, the storage and can't be bothered to continue with YT downloading, I'm beginning to look into getting a good data plan on my phone, and somehow streaming music. I have a few songs on my computer that would be nice to stream as well, but I don't mind having copies of these stored on my phone.

I'm not really sure what I should be looking for, but I've heard good things about GPMusic and I've liked using Grooveshark on my PC, so I guess their mobile app shouldn't be too bad either.

Free would be nice, but if it's worth it, I guess I wouldn't mind paying a little for it. I'm not really an audiophile, but good quality sound would be a plus too.

edit: just read that Google banned the grooveshark app

Google Music or iTunes HomeSharing.

Google Music on my phone or tablet (depending on the situation), either through a pair of Motorola S-11 Flex HD BT headphones or on the speaker.

Home Sharing is if I'm doing stuff around my place and don't want the distraction of watching TV, I turn on the AppleTV and my MBP and stream music to my surround system in the living room.

Upvote 0
I'm in a somewhat similar position as the OP. I used to listen to music primarily via Napster on my PC. Loved being able to find almost everything I wanted to listen too. Man I really miss that program. When they shut their doors I moved to Rhapsody. Their Ok but nowhere as good as Napster was. IMO of course. I've been a smartphone user for the last 5-6 but have never downloaded music on any of my phones. When I've been out & around I've used Pandora, TuneIn, iHeart Radio, or one of several PodCaster apps but one thing I've always missed with them that I had with Napster or even Rhapsody is the ability to easily search for & immediately play tunes I wanted to hear and build playlists for those tunes. Apps like Pandora are great for discovering music but it doesn't allow me to do the things I mentioned. I used to have an MP3 player but it died 3-4 years ago. I recently thought about buying a new one but then thought "I paid all the $ I did for this phone so why spend more $ to do something this phone is fully capable of doing?" Then I started looking around at my options for getting music on my phone and discovered the streaming versus downloading(to phone) versus cloud debate. I have read more than one article that stated that the days of downloading music was behind us because streaming and/or cloud storage are the way of the future. I've recently been using Spotify and while it's OK for listening too on my PC or laptop I've not found the experience on my smartphone to be as nice mainly because the app interface is do limited in what you can do as compared to the PC interface. Also, I have read that you can listen to music offline on Spotify I have yet to figure out how. If I'm in a location that has poor cell coverage and no WiFi I can't stream reliably which takes me back to wondering how to I can listen to music anywhere without having it downloaded on my phone.

Upvote 0
Actually found that Spotify seems to do the trick just fine. Of course there's the "problem" of having the shuffle through albums and playlists, but that's fine with me. I'll probably have a look at Deezer soon as well

EDIT: so deezer is pretty great. I've bought a few albums with the GPlay 99p offer, and then soon I'm gonna grab that

Upvote 0
So since my last post I've mainly been listening to free deezer on my pc and a mixture of purchased GPlay music and blinkbox (ads are beginning to annoy me)

Considering I'm jumping at all these 99p albums, I'm back on the train of thought that getting a subscription to either Spotify or Deezer might be a good idea - but which one do I go for?
Both are

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones