What do you use to stream radio?

Last Updated:

1. yzingerr

yzingerr Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I used to love thestreamcenter.com on my old palm treo, but 'droid doesnt' play any of the stations. They had everything!

I want to listen to over the air FM Radio on my droid.

Suggestions on good streaming radio app?
    Pandora doesnt count.

Advertisement
  2. GrandMasterB

GrandMasterB Go Go Gadget Flow! VIP Member

Why doesnt Pandora count? I use Pandora or Slacker myself on a daily basis. I tried iheartradio and it was pretty good but made my Droid get way too hot for my liking...

3. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

Pandora isn't true streaming "radio" ... it is streaming "music". I get it, but that's what I use anyway.

There is iHeartMusic ... but it's service has been shoddy lately. There's currently a thread about that in the apps sub-forum.

4. GrandMasterB

GrandMasterB Go Go Gadget Flow! VIP Member

Oh, ok radio vs music> well if its the commercials the OP is looking for then try Slacker. :p

5. thegreen

thegreen Well-Known Member

Do you mean broadcast radio that streams online in a non-compatable format? If so, try Moodio.com. Set up an account using your computer, plug in the url for stations you want, then access via their mobile site on your phone. The site automatically converts radio streams to the proper format for phones. Works great.

6. yzingerr

I will try that thegreen, thanks.

Yeah i dont include pandora (i like pandora) but like someone said before i am looking for radio and not a music player.

7. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

But you have to keep the browser open all the time, correct?

8. ohvzwguy

ohvzwguy Well-Known Member

Visit
    Iheartradio.com/droid for the app

yzingerr likes this.
  9. icstars989

icstars989 Well-Known Member

I use Streamfurious, I believe Droid Live is another solid one.

10. Redflea

Redflea Well-Known Member

Droid Live! Really like it...there is a "lite" version so you can try it for free and buy the full version (adds restoring backed up settings) if you want to support the dev.

yzingerr likes this.
  11. johnny_w

johnny_w Well-Known Member

Try "A Online Radio". It let's you listen to almost any radio station online.

12. Thoraldus

Thoraldus Well-Known Member

13. MicroNix

MicroNix Well-Known Member

I second "Droid Live!". Tons of stations (shoutcast type) and one of the most awesome looking GUIs on Android!! I don't think even an Apple app can compare to the appeal of this interface. Best of all, there is a free ad supported version.

I've tried iheart and never understood the hype. It was ordinary over the air radio stations (though a lot of them) which is what I'm trying to get away from!

yzingerr likes this.
  14. DjSmooth

DjSmooth Well-Known Member

I luv Slacker, than DroidLive, but now that Rhapsody is out it may move to first place even in Beta its pretty good.

15. ohvzwguy

ohvzwguy Well-Known Member

16. trekgraham

trekgraham Well-Known Member

I found with moodio it works best to use 24k stereo.

17. VeryApe

VeryApe Well-Known Member

Another vote for DroidLive. Shoutcast streams ftw.

18. rsdroid

rsdroid Member

I'm really diggin' iHeartRadio too! :D I use it for my favorite news/talk stations. Several tips about it:
    - It IS in the market!
    - Make sure you have GPS enabled before you try to
    open it. Otherwise, all you get is fc's.
    - Sometimes the local station that I want to listen to
    takes forever to connect, so I'll change it to a station
    in another city with the same program I want and it
    will connect right away.
    - Was recently updated and seems to be faster so far.

yzingerr likes this.
  19. Thoraldus

Thoraldus Well-Known Member

Just loaded up Droid Live! ... looks really good, love the UI. Looks like it may replace A Online Radio.

20. shademar

shademar Well-Known Member

My primary use for my droid is as a music player. My findings thus far:

Pandora: This is by far my favorite music app; I flip around between artist-defined stations and custom stations constantly, and all of them are surprisingly spot-on. Many artists I now follow were discovered through Pandora. All-and-all, this app is great for discovering new music as well as listening to what you like, but be prepared to create many stations and flip between them. No ads, but limited skipping (6x/station).

Slacker: Pandora's kid sister. I like and use slacker for the genre-specific channels, but I find that any band-specific channels are often quite repetitive. I have a bunch of channels and switch between them constantly, but I'm not often surprised by anything new once I've listened for a bit. Ads (for slacker) and limited (6x/station) skipping.

Last.FM: I admit, I usually use Last.fm set to "my library." This plays back my library and closely related tracks, but streamed instead of locally. Tis okay, but not particularly awesome. I find the interface too unwieldy during normal playback to use as often as the others. (I have yet to encounter an ad or a skip limit. Very good at finding topical music.)

DroidLive: Shoutcast app, very different from the Pandora/Slacker model. Pretty much like listening to regular radio stations (ads, no skipping and externally mixed, but a good selection of stations.) Good for checking out what's popular, but it seems more geared towards the latest top 40 and specific genres than finding something new. I haven't dug in enough to say one way or the other, and finding a general station is often the best way to discover new music. (No skipping, ads...similar to broadcast radio.)

Verdict? I use all of them, and would be happy to find more. :D No one says you need to use only one.

21. yzingerr

Ive been trying them all, still having a hard time trying to find one I like. Cant seem to find local radio stations with any of the apps!

22. radikal

radikal Well-Known Member

my current favorite station in SLC UT, streams it right to the media player, the day time music guy that is boss has a droid too so he is working on making it easier. they have an iphone app, and i hope they are working on a droid one! most have an iphone app, loveline, this station i listen to etc etc... we got NPR now though, its a step

23. Shadowtech

Shadowtech Well-Known Member

Cherry Rplayer tunes into live stations like iHeartRadio does.. only it supports CBS stations and other worldwide live. So if iHeart doesn't pick up the one ya want.. try Cherry.

[​IMG]

24. Redflea

Redflea Well-Known Member

Glad you're liking it... I tried A Online radio as well before I settled on Droid Live as well...Droid Live just floated my boat a little higher. :)

25. Chuck1906

Chuck1906 Well-Known Member

I use iheartradio but the thing that is starting to tick me off is that it is not saving my favorite radio stations. Why would it have a FAVORITES option and it not work? It seems like it works for that particular session that your using that app. Say you close out of it and reopen the app and click favorites, all your stations are now gone! I used to live in VA and now I am in Delaware so its nice to be able to listen to radio from VA on my phone. I notice the signal comes and goes if I am in the car though.