What do you use to sync your contacts, etc....?!

Last Updated:

1. image911

image911 New Member This Topic's Starter

Feb 23, 2010
    I am using a Motorola Droid (via Verizon Wireless) and connect to my Vista desktop via a USB cable, and employ the latest 2010 version of Microsoft Office to keep my contacts and correspondence in order. When I had a Windows based smartphone, all was right with the sync'ing world - as it was nearly seamless... all contacts up to date and accounted for.

When I switched devices, all changed, and I had to use a third party program to keep my contacts list current. I tried Mark/Space's The Missing Sync, but found that the only way I could sync my contacts was either via bluetooth or wirelessly (which neither options were possible on the desktop device), but I could sync my music, photos and documents via USB. Gee, thanks. No other way around it, it seems... either it's done wirelessly or not at all. I can see the simplicity and ease of use - if you're set-up for that, but what of those that aren't. Got my $39.95 back in due time.

CompanionLink offers a few options... either via USB or directly - through Google. I found that both worked well, but each transferred contacts to my phone - but, transposed first, middle and last names of SOME contacts and not others. Odd. No explanation as to just how or why that happens.

I've settled - for the time being - on using the CompanionLink for Google version, and make what changes I require - and keep an eye on just what and where the records are changed. If you make changes to the Google contacts - it does not automatically do the same to the Outlook 2010 files on the connected desktop for some reason. Don't know if or when that happens. Ditto the same if changes are made on the Droid - if and when they get transferred to both Outlook 2010's contact list, as well as the same on Google. Perhaps there is a "special setting" I just haven't come across as yet.

So, what means are YOU using to sync your contacts with your Droid...??

2. zandroid

zandroid Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2009
    Create a gmail account online, add all your contacts there. Then add that same account into your phone, and the contacts will sync wirelessly. Easy. Same goes for Calendar.
  3. cranky_dan

cranky_dan Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2009

I used Palm devices for years, and I am used to 'needing' to sync. A few trips into the googlecloud later, and I'll never go back to syncing with a cable. The Droid and Google will sync for you constantly in the background. Nice, huh?

And I'll even let you in on another 'cordless' trick. There is a cloud-based storage, DropBox, that has just released an Android app. You install the Dropbox client software on your PC/Mac and the app on your phone, and you can now transfer files back and forth without a cable. I'd be remiss if I didn't offer up my DropBox referral link, which will net you (and I) an additional 250mb added to your 'stock' 2gb DropBox.

Enjoy your phone. And this community. It's a great place to come to ask, learn, and share.

4. mixpix

mixpix Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    I use exchange. If I wasn't using that I would use google sync, its easy.