What Does EOL Really Mean for Droid Users

Last Updated:

1. montyboy

montyboy Member This Topic's Starter

So, with End Of Life for the Droid 1 announced from Verizon what do you forsee happening to the Droid 1 dev community?

Advertisement
  2. Nicks88

Nicks88 Well-Known Member

The same thing that happened with the G1 community. Ride it until the wheels fall off.

PetRiLJoe likes this.
  3. gnath9

gnath9 Well-Known Member

I tend to think "most" of us keep our phones for the duration of our contracts if not longer.
    The MotorolaQ is a good example of this its community is still going strong although not as active as it once was.
    I have no plans of getting a new device until a 4G rootable device hits VZW although it sounds like that wont be a motorola :(

4. montyboy

Yeah, I get new toy envy from time to time - but then I go to the store , play with the new device, and quickly realize I really like my customized D1 and it does everything I need it to do with a quickness.

5. BlueIce5249

BlueIce5249 Well-Known Member

Ditto.

Motorola just extended the Droids life by locking the bootloader.

6. montyboy

Yeah, that would be nice. Except I think they are trying to kill it off faster than we think. According to a thread at Droidforums, Asurion, the VZW insurance company, they are not getting ANYMORE Droid 1 phones and claims will be honored with "like" devices. For a while ((about a week)) they were shipping people an Eris as a replacement device. Due to much complaint about a downgraded device it is said they are now replacing them with Droid Incs and in the future the device will be replaced with a Droid 2.

Considering the locked down nature of new Moto devices - your best bet may be to baby your OG Droid 1 for as long as you can as the future of "openness" in the Moto community is unknown at this time.

gallandof likes this.
  7. jxker

jxker Well-Known Member

I spend a lot of money on my verizon contracts 200+ a month...I love my droid because i can tinker with it but i can also tinker with my netbook, laptop, desktop, etc. If all future phones are locked down I will get just a "phone" as a lot of the stuff available isnt worth the monthly bill when i have other devices that will do the same thing BETTER, if a little bit larger

as a community , should we work as one, we should be able to dictate verizon policy and if they wont comply go elsewhere, because all they really understand is the $$$$$$

8. gallandof

gallandof Well-Known Member

thank you for that information about asurion does anyone have a personal experience with that?

9. klwheat

klwheat Well-Known Member

Where did you hear this? I've seen a LOT of postings with people complaining about getting screwed with Eris or such. I haven't heard anyone say that they could get a Dinc or D2...but that would be better than nothing at least.

10. BlueIce5249

BlueIce5249 Well-Known Member

Previously when I've replaced a phone they ALWAYS use the same manufacturer. Just last year I had an LG and verizon told me there was no way to replace it with anything besides an LG.

It must depend on who is doing the replacing. If the insurance company replaces it, most likely they'll replace it with something different than the manufacturer or carrier.

11. emdmao

emdmao Well-Known Member

I think most user/developers will stick with the Droid now that the X and 2 as well as future releases will be bootlocked.

To be honest, there's no must have IMO to leave it for yet. I'll be waiting for LTE before I give up the Droid.

Droid=G1 IMO

12. JoeProcopio

JoeProcopio Well-Known Member

EOL means it won't be available at the store....the Community won't let it die anytime soon...

13. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

EOL means that when this Droid dies, there's always eBay for the next one... :)