What does it mean to teather

Last Updated:

1. dansdad

dansdad Member

I see the term teather, but I dont know what it means. Could someone please explain this to me and I will be able to tell if I want it. I am obviously a newbie. Thanks kindly..Dave Gale

Advertisement
  2. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

Hi Dave,

Tethering refers to using your Droid's 3G data plan to link to your PC or other Wi-Fi device. The Droid - once rooted and configured - can create a small Wi-Fi network around it and you can sign your laptop, etc. into that network and use your Droid's 3G to access the Internet.

Be forewarned that (a) rooting voids your Droid's warranty and (b) tethering violates Verizon's Terms of Service. While very few people have been busted tethering, it CAN happen to anyone: they can tell the difference between your phone's 3G data and your laptop's and they could (1) charge you per megabyte of usage and (2) terminate your plan. Prosecution of tethering is rare, and you usually won't go on their radar unless you use over 5GB of data in a month. USUALLY.

I always urge caution and RESTRAINT when tethering. I tether rarely and quickly, and only when I need to. I would encourage you to consider the same if you decide to proceed.

Hope this helps. :)
    dansdad likes this.
  3. dansdad

dansdad Member

,Thanks a lot . U have helped me enough to know Idont want to fool with it. Thanks...Dave
  4. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

Not if you pay for it.
  5. RandolphNY

RandolphNY Well-Known Member

To DansDad.....Don't be afraid of "Teather". From a non-rooted person, I use it via USB Cable. It works nicely, when you are away from home and/or you home internet is not working. I use PdaNet, which is very user friendly. If you look on your phone Settings....Wireless & Networks, You should see a Tethering option on that screen. PdaNet's instructions also walks you through.

Give it a try....You will be glad you did!