What does 'K' mean? Kitkat?

Last Updated: 2014-08-11 08:31:27
  1. lmurphy1

lmurphy1 Member

Nexus 5 - I went into settings > about phone and tapped on Android version 4.4.4 rapidly about 4-5 times. Got a white K on black background. Then when I tap it, it spins around.

When I tap the K rapidly, I see a white oval with the word Android in red inside it, on a red background, with ANDROID 4.4.4

Cute, but does it have any practical meaning?

Advertisement
  2. olbriar

olbriar Moderator Moderator

I'm not one that knows but it sounds like an easter egg to me. One of those fun things designed and written just for the amusement of the developer mostly. But... it might amount to more than that. I can't imagine what however.
    lmurphy1 likes this.
  3. timbrown23

timbrown23 Well-Known Member

I just tried it on my phone, I have jellybean and a big red jellybean appeared, if you tap it it has a smiley face on it
    lmurphy1 likes this.
  4. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

It's an easter egg, the name comes from the Nestle chocolate bar.
    [​IMG]

All versions of Android are named after sweets, candys and cakes. Not all devices do it though, some manufacturers do remove or disable it.
    lmurphy1 likes this.
  5. sntaylor

sntaylor Well-Known Member Contributor

If you continue tapping on the KitKat wrapper it goes to another screen with tiles that represent all the previous versions which when tapped, swap around, and move without touching too. But yeah the k I believe is for KitKat :)
    lmurphy1 likes this.
  6. mplevy

mplevy Well-Known Member

Yes, the K is for KitKat, nothing new there. The easter egg is really cool though. Showed a co-worker that has a One Max (still on 4.4.2 while I'm on 4.4.4 on my Moto X), he can't get to it...
    lmurphy1 likes this.
  7. lmurphy1

lmurphy1 Member

Cute! I'll try that next!
  8. lmurphy1

lmurphy1 Member

That didn't happen on my Nexus 5 (running 4.4.4)
  9. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum Moderator

It doesn't change from the tapping, it times out and then it changes to this ...

Attached Files:

ocnbrze and sntaylor like this.
  10. sntaylor

Long pressing it gets it on mine sorry, I'm on s4 with gpe Rom running :)
    lmurphy1 likes this.
  11. mplevy

mplevy Well-Known Member

Long-pressing on the KitKat logo does it for both my devices (Moto X and Galaxy Note 10.1 2014, both stock) also.
  12. AMOCO

AMOCO The Computer Dude Guide

Pretty cool,
    Mine showed the K,Then kept tipping,Then K spun and went to oval Android logo with android version at the bottom of the screen.
  13. MacFett

MacFett Well-Known Member

My first Android device was running Froyo which I quickly upgraded to Gringerbread, which is when I found this Easter egg. It has been in every version of android on every device I've owned since then.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. nickdalzell

nickdalzell Well-Known Member Contributor

That jelly bean one has what appears to be broken, sideways oriented Nexus logos...
  15. lmurphy1

lmurphy1 Member

Still didn't work on the Nexus 5. Only get as far as the red KitKat wrapper. Oh well.
  16. MacFett

MacFett Well-Known Member

On my OnePlus you have to long press to get the next picture.
  17. lmurphy1

lmurphy1 Member

Thanks! :)
    MacFett likes this.
  18. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

I just found another easter egg. But you'd only get this one with the custom ROM.

1407422175467.jpg
    In settings, tap on CyanogenMod version 3 times.
  19. sntaylor

They did a similar thing with jelly bean, that was the reason I found this one before....it's now one of the first things i check when changing Rom.lol