What does one do when the battery diesSupport

1. whs37

whs37 Well-Known Member

My N7 is still fairly new and the battery is still in good shape. But one day it will die. What do we do then ??

Advertisement
    :
  2. Teknologic

Teknologic Well-Known Member

It'll probably be very dated by the time that happens and you'll be able to get a lot better hardware for a fraction of the price. But on the off chance it dies early, it's really easy to remove he back cover and guess what the first thing you see is... I'm not digging into it but I'm betting a new battery won't be too expensive.
  3. whs37

whs37 Well-Known Member

So I guess there is hope although I don't look forward to prying the N7 open.
  4. En4cer2k11

En4cer2k11 Well-Known Member

Buy whatever better tablet is available when that time comes? Assuming it won't absolutely die on you for at least the next couple years, you'll probably be WANTING a new tablet by then anyway.
  5. pastafarian

pastafarian P√Ętes avec votre foie Moderator

I think the the battery will probably outlast the technology. By the time you need a new battery, you would probably be a little insane to even consider spending the $$$ to replace it.
  6. whs37

whs37 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the inputs. I hope you guys are right. Idon't trust batteries that much. Had a couple of them die in my laptops. and in one camera.

And I usually don't throw stuff away as long as it works. My stereo system (Beocenter) is from the 70s, my car is from the 90's and some of my 8 TVs are even older - although I did buy an additional one 4 weeks ago.
  7. John Bean

John Bean Happy Wanderer Guide

You and me both. But these days I don't keep things until they break either - that's what online auctions are for :)
  8. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique VIP Member

Ask an Apple user? ;)
    This is my first device with a non-removable battery, but I imagine sending it into Asus to have it changed would be possible. Beyond a one year warranty though, you'll probably be spending some money on it.
  9. John Bean

John Bean Happy Wanderer Guide

But unlike glued-together Apple product cases the case of the Nexus 7 opens just by popping off the clip-on back cover. I doubt that changing the Nexus 7 battery would present much of a problem should it ever be required.

Nexus 7 Teardown
  10. binary visions

binary visions Well-Known Member

As said above, the back is pretty easy to pop off if you need to swap batteries. While it may not be "user replaceable" in the strict sense, it's also not permanently fused to the case or anything.

Tablet batteries tend to last longer than laptop batteries anyway, because tablets get less hot than laptops and heat is a primary factor in shortening battery life.
  11. whs37

whs37 Well-Known Member

That's a good point.
  12. dave1812

dave1812 Well-Known Member

The only device I've replaced a battery in, is my first iPod, because of the 10 ipods my wife and I own, it sounds the best. Most personal electronics outlive their owners' interest. The battery is seldom going to die before the owners move on to something newer.
  13. androidpod

androidpod Well-Known Member Contributor

In the past I was a very stubborn "anti-captive" battery advocate.

Yet working in a cross platform environment, I had little choice when Apple began using captive batteries (non-user replaceable). Yet now quite a few years later, I've yet to face battery replacement in any of my iPhones, MBP's, or other newer Apple hardware with glued in batteries.

That's not to say it's not possible, but very unlikely. Batteries are built to very high standards, with great quality control. As a result I've grown to accept them without hesitation. And I'm not just referring to Apple's batteries.
  14. whs37

whs37 Well-Known Member

You have a lot of trust in our Chinese friends.
  15. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

to add...

laptops are often just plugged in.. most of the time..
    not letting the battery discharge.. and recharge.

also.. i have my laptop on for hours at a time...
    almost daily.

laptop batteries take more of a beating.
    this also causes batteries to die a little faster.

i guess the nexus7 battery should last 4-6 yrs, before it starts to show its age.
    i wonder how much i could sell in on craigslist for then? $30?