1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

What does Opera Mobile require GPS permission for and what's new in update?

Last Updated:

1. xperiaforme

xperiaforme Member This Topic's Starter

Or any other application, why do tehy require GPS permission for that matter? I am slightly concerned how ceratin apps want to know all about us. So what's the deal with this one and others? And what's new in yesterdays update? I can see absolutely no difference.

Advertisement
  2. lexluthor

lexluthor Well-Known Member

GPS is needed for location services, like if you go to Facebook Touch and want to do Places.

I think there were changes listed in the market, look there. It was a very minor update though if I recall.

3. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

Read up on the apps you're installing. Sounds like they have location-based features. If not, ask the developer. It's impossible to provide one-size-fits-all answers for questions like this. It really depends on the specific app in question.

It sounds like you really need to read up on permissions. There are guides out there. IIRC, this site has its own sticky on permissions that you should review. Accessing the GPS receiver doesn't necessarily mean that the app is keeping tabs on your location and sending the info to the developer. It just means that the app uses the GPS receiver. You'd need to dig a bit more (not sure how) to determine malicious intent by the developer.

Check the changelog (applies for any app).