What does "rooted" mean??

Last Updated:

1. daivik

daivik Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

hey guys,

probably a major noob question but....

What does everyone mean when they have a "rooted" desire?? Or a "rooted" phone??

Just wondering because many people seem to be talking about it.

Advertisement
  2. gibbs1984

gibbs1984 Well-Known Member

In Linux it means that you basically gain control of all the functions of the OS, and have privaliges to change anything you want.

If you're not rooted then you are basically using the OS as a guest, meaning that you'll have to enter a password to gain access to certain functions of the OS, this is what makes Linux so secure. I assume Android is the same as it's built off Linux.

3. hainman

hainman Well-Known Member

hi gibbs1984.sorry to pester you with this but does rooting make your warranty void?ive seen some realy sweet themes but they mention rooting your phone and im not willing tp do that if it makes my handset warranty void.think its xda dev site that has all the root themes,anyway to use them without doing this,cheers H

4. gibbs1984

gibbs1984 Well-Known Member

No idea if it void the warrenty, it probably would though, you definitely need to find that out before doing it.

5. hainman

hainman Well-Known Member

cool.when you root it can you re-set to factory settings or is it a permanent feature?is it worth doing?i seen some rel cool themes but they need rooted phone.