1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

What does the "D" mean under 3GGeneral

1. LexusBrian400

LexusBrian400 Well-Known Member

What does the "D" mean under 3G in my slide down bar?

I'm leaning towards signal strength/type of signal, but I cant find a definitive answer anywhere. Any help greatly appreciated.

On a side note, the app Quick Settings says "No APN Configured" under the G/3G tab, I know this relates to MMS and internet access but I can't find any info on the subject (ie. how to "configure" my APN)

Thanks guys/gals...

:cool:

FYI - I can send and receive pictures just fine.

Advertisement
    :
  2. DBEAU

DBEAU Member

3. gruss

gruss Well-Known Member

I thought the D meant 1Xrtt, or "2G", basically means data is available but not EVDO (3G)

get into some rural areas and you'll see it, and pandora will start buffering and dogs and cats will get married...chaos ensues. Just kidding, all it means is your internet will be the same speed as an iphones in 90% of the country ;)
  4. Caddyman

Caddyman Well-Known Member

D just means 3G is available but not in use
  5. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

Hmm.. we're getting more than one possibility.

Might as well add my definition:

I always thought it meant, "Dang, this is great coverage right here and right now at this particular point in time and under these particular atmospheric and usage conditions."

"Dang" for short.
    Matlock likes this.
  6. gruss

gruss Well-Known Member

OIC the D on here just means your in a digital service area, never seen the 1X show up on it yet.

Frisco: nope they are correct I am not...my time with alltel phones where D was 1x and ev was "3g" confused me.
  7. pkopalek

pkopalek Well-Known Member

There is also a D below the 1x when it is idle.

The D is some indication of idle.

I would venture that D is for 'Digital'.
  8. Frisco

Gruss, this is a case of "no smilies in post, therefor post is taken entirely seriously when, in fact, it was meant to garner a laugh." ;)
  9. gruss

gruss Well-Known Member

Oh I sensed the sarcasm, but others who may search (yeah right :rolleyes: ) in the future may not so I just wanted to admit my fault and not confuse anyone :D
  10. Frisco

Now that's thinking.

They can use you at Verizon. Careers - Home :D
  11. alprazolam

alprazolam Well-Known Member

I agree...it is obviously not meant to be for "Darn" or "Dumbass" (well maybe so) but it probably just lets you know that you are using Digital. Why they need to tell us that when analog no longer exists is beyond me. Maybe it's just a little marketing tool to make you feel all warm inside. :D
  12. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

I always thought it just stood for dormant.
  13. mc48

mc48 Well-Known Member

This from someone on another forum:

A "D" means you have no data connectivity. You can receive/make phone calls and can send/receive SMS messages. That's it.
  14. Caddyman

Caddyman Well-Known Member

I don't think that's right
  15. alprazolam

Well, I only see the D when my connection arrows aren't present. Could be it.
  16. Frisco

Yeah, but that D comes on your final statement I think. Along with the 800 number of your carrier's competitor.

heh-heh.. :D etc..
  17. mobimop

mobimop Well-Known Member

I call BS on that one.... Verizon 3G Data is woefully slow.
  18. pkopalek

pkopalek Well-Known Member

at&t mobile broadband speeds definitely peak out faster.

but verizon 3g speeds are just fine for most peoples' use. Moving 100mb+ files is painful, but on your cell phone, the few that are doing that are typically accepting of the sluggishness.
  19. Ruh17

Ruh17 Well-Known Member

Might as well join in the fun.
    I always thought the D meant disconnected. Like when the arrows are up you're connected streaming data back and fourth, but with the D there is no data going across the network.. Dormant from above might be a better word.
    But then again why do the arrows fade?

Other probables include doh.. As in doh why did it take so long for me to ditch my iphone. Or democrat as in if it wasn't for the democrat al Gore we wouldn't even have internet.
    Cheers!
  20. Frisco

I was trying to figure out that last part of your post, then my eyes wandered over to the left and saw, "Location: California."

It's all clear to me now.
    BlazeD OnE likes this.
  21. Ruh17

Ruh17 Well-Known Member

Yes we do have good pot in California.

Lol I was just being facetious. You gotta remember... Gore invented the internet. Just ask him.
  22. LexusBrian400

LexusBrian400 Well-Known Member

As stated earlier... Page 46 of the manual (I know, who reads those riight??) It means EVDO available. As in, its there, but not actively transferring any data.
  23. Frisco

It doesn't mean "Dang?"

I'm crestfallen. :D
  24. alprazolam

I thought of looking in the manual but I just felt too tired to do all that hard work when someone intelligent like yourself will do the work for us. ;)
  25. Blrfl

Blrfl Well-Known Member

3G/D == 3G Data available
    3G/Arrows = 3G Data in use
    1x/D = 1xRTT Data available
    1x/Arrows = 1xRTT Data In use

--Mark
    paleodust and Ruh17 like this.