• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What does this text message symbol mean?

peskywabbit

Lurker
Jun 16, 2011
Hello, been reading this forum for advice for a couple of months since my husband bought an X10 and have found it very helpful. I'm quite up to speed with computers but must admit that mobile phones and particularly Android ones are generally beyond me. :D Anyway I've now got a question that I've been unable to find an answer to so have registered in the hope that someone can help.

I have tried to send a text message today which is quite a long one and although it says it has been sent, there is an envelope with what looks like a red 'clock' icon on top next to the message.

Can anyone tell me what this is and what it means?

Thanks guys

Does that little icon just appear and disappear real quick or does it stay in the bar at the top?

If it is still at the top, drag down the top notification bar....what does it say up there? Any error or anything?

Are you using the default messaging app? If so, open Messaging and hit the Menu button (the left button) and select Settings, is there a Delivery Report checkmark turned on? At the bottom, select the option that says Push Settings.

After you get those settings, exit out of there, and try and send yourself a txt message.

Create yourself as a contact, and send yourself a txt. Does that work? If so, now try and txt someone else and see if it works.

It's not in the notification bar it's alongside the message. When you are looking at the message thread, it is to the right of the message and is permanent. Checked in settings and delivery checkmark is not enabled. Also I have sent other messages since and they have not got this icon. I'm wondering if its something to do with trying to send a long message.

Upvote 0
It's not in the notification bar it's alongside the message. When you are looking at the message thread, it is to the right of the message and is permanent. Checked in settings and delivery checkmark is not enabled. Also I have sent other messages since and they have not got this icon. I'm wondering if its something to do with trying to send a long message.

Do the Push Settings thing.

That will retrieve the settings from your provider.

If you type a really long message will it split it up into 2? After I type a certain amount of characters my message will split into 2 and it will notify me as soon as I have passed the limit....it show a little number 2 beside the amount of characters I have typed.

Select the Delivery notification. Enable it.

Right now you aren't getting notified if a message is received by your provider.

Upvote 0
I would advise following doing as beau420 has stated, however for future reference I believe this particular icon implies that the message is queued to send but has not gone through yet. This is something you will see more often with either an MMS or SMS that has gone into two messages as it is more data and takes slightly longer to go through. However if this stays on the screen for more than a minute or two I would wait for a while then try to resend the message

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones