1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

What does "unmounting" sd card mean? Rooting my phone right now, quick reply needed!

1. jazzneel

jazzneel Well-Known Member

I am in the process of rooting my phone. What does "unmounting" the sd card and "mounting" it mean? I get that it means taking it out of the phone and in, but is there a certain way of doing it? I have my phone plugged in the computer right now, so can I just take the micro sd card out? Or can I just take it out whenever?

And when I put it back in, is there a certain way to do that?

Sorry for such a dumb question, I just want to be sure I do everything right!

Advertisement
    :
  2. slade

slade Well-Known Member

unmount means "to make inaccessible" in simple terms

you have to mount it to read it or write to it. It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with physically inserting or removing it. It is a filesystem thing.

mount = make accessible
    unmount = make inaccessible (as you would do in preparation for physically disconnecting)
    jdjamm and patel_gsm82 like this.
  3. Roman G.

Roman G. No-Posting Probation

When you plug in the USB, in the notification bar up top, pull that down and it will ask you what you want to do. Just mount the card when it asks, and when your done pull the notification window down and unmount it!
    me2u69 likes this.
  4. jazzneel

ok so I am trying to root my phone, but it doesn't work?? I run the diagnostic, and it gives all greens, when I go to the auto rooter, (i have a with google phone), it says "failed to connect to your phone" "cannot push file"

What do I do?? I went to htc.com and downloaded htc sync, and followed all the directions??
  5. jazzneel

ok now I'm failing the sendkeys test?? What does that mean?
  6. ccapasso

ccapasso Well-Known Member

You did not install the Drivers. Re-read the tutorial, and follow the instructions. You need to install either the HTC Sync Drivers and/or the PDAnet drivers.
  7. jazzneel

ok it worked, but now I have a white triangle with a ! in the middle and the phone next to it?? What does that mean
  8. ccapasso

It means something didn't work right. I would suggest doing it manually and if you are still having problems, use the 1.2.3 recovery img instead of the 1.5.2.
  9. jazzneel

ok now I can't get past step 18 for the manual rooting? it says error opening recovery no such file or directory???
  10. ccapasso

This has been asked and covered time and time again, in that thread.

You are getting that error because the recovery img isn't on your SD card. Check your SD card and make sure the recovery img is there. This is stated in the tutorial.
    jersey221 likes this.
  11. jazzneel

hmm I checked my SD card and it is on there?? It is on the root section? Do I need to reformat my SD card maybe? or get rid of everything on it and try it again?
  12. ccapasso

Just to clarify, when you say "root section" you do not mean it is in a folder called root right?
    jersey221 likes this.
  13. jazzneel

I formatted and manually put the folder in there and its still not working??
  14. jazzneel

no, its in the highest section of the folder, F:/ in there when I plug it in my computer?
  15. ccapasso

As long as it is in the highest section of the folder, it should work. I assume you have the correct drivers installed? Also, make sure your SD card isn't mounted when doing the command to flash the Recovery Img. And to clarify, this means to go to the notification bar on your phone, pull it down, and unmount your phone if it is mounted.

If you are still having issues, you can try using the 1.2.3 img instead.
    jersey221 likes this.
  16. jazzneel

ok now I can't make a nand backup?? It says error : Run 'nandroid-mobile.sh' via adb!

anyone??
  17. jazzneel

should I have the sd card in when doing the nanodroid backup? Maybe try taking the card out and putting it back in?
  18. ccapasso

You need to follow the tutorial word for word. It doesn't mention taking out the SD card, so do not do that.

You need to flash the recovery img successfully before creating a nandroid backup.

It sounds to me like you may have had several issues here, I would start at the top and take each step, one by one.
    jersey221 and jazzneel like this.
  19. jazzneel

how exactly do you "mount" the sd card?
  20. ccapasso

This has been answered before as well. It is in the tutorial:

jersey221 likes this.
  21. ccapasso

To hopefully help you and others more, I just added another FAQ to the tutorial on how to mount/unmount your SD Card properly.
    jersey221 and jazzneel like this.
  22. jazzneel

wooot finally rooted, and I just installed fresh ROM! thanks for your help ccapasso! wooooooo!

Now to install gumbo kernal and set CPU! :)
  23. ccapasso

Np. Don't forget to use the "Thanks option" if you feel people have helped you :).
    scatterd, jersey221 and jazzneel like this.
  24. jersey221

jersey221 Well-Known Member

i'll give you thanks too idk if i would have answered such easy questions over and over...:)
  25. gotryche73

gotryche73 New Member

in my cmd , when typing in /sdcard/flash_image then so on, it says no such file or directory, can someone point me in right direction.... thanks