What does ver 2.2 give you ...Support

Last Updated:

1. cpiad

cpiad New Member This Topic's Starter

(to preclude unncessary comments ... yessssssss ... my 2.4 ghz band is very crowed with many boxes talking on that band .. and yesssss .. I know 5 ghz band has inherently less range .. and yessssss I know its comparable to 2.4 ghz) and yeessss ... I have been told the Rx in the HTC cannot recieve 5 ghz ... and now that I got that junk out of the way ...below is what I am really trying to understand ... :cool:
    I know ... I am a good-for-nothing room temperature IQ lazy nongeek unworthy of your time ... but, nevertheless ... can someone kindly tell me what we get out of ver 2.2 upgrade in layman terms that a lowly non-geek can understand? And is 2.2 the vaunted Froyo <sic> OS that is the holy grail according to HTC Incredible Geekdom?:rolleyes:

Advertisement
  2. JustDroid

JustDroid Well-Known Member

Actually the wireless radio in the Incredible doesn't support transmitting on the 5 GHz band. It physically CANNOT do it, so there will not be a software update to allow this

3. sabrewings

sabrewings Well-Known Member

Expecting a software update to add hardware capability is reaching. Like JustDroid said the radio is not physically capable of those frequencies.

What does Froyo offer?

Better CPU performance (up to 3x with the new JIT compiler)
    Cloud to device
    Lots of small UI additions
    Wireless N standard (though only on 2.4GHz)
    Option to use a Pin instead of Pattern for security
    Native 3G hotspot capability
    Bluetooth upgrades
    Higher RAM support (though, I don't believe HTC is as of yet making use of this so we can use all 512MB of RAM we currently have)

There's lots more. It's a great update as long as you know what to expect. I'm on Skyraider 3.0 RC2 and feel like I have a new phone.