What does your data usage look like each month?

Whats your average usage?

1. 500 MB or less - I use data ever now and then

8 vote(s)
    34.8%
  2. 1 - 2.99 GB - I got have my fix of data

11 vote(s)
    47.8%
  3. 3 -5.99 GB - Im a data hog, plain and simple

2 vote(s)
    8.7%
  4. 6 - 10 GB - I dont have a problem, and you cant prove it

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  5. 10+ GB - I need data rehab

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
Last Updated: 2010-11-16 01:31:55
  1. toomuchgame441

toomuchgame441 Well-Known Member

Just created this thread to see what kind of data usage you all get each month and with what phones. Had my Evo for more than a month and my data usage more than doubled compared to what I was using with my old Hero. And thats including the times I'm on WiFi at home and at my fiances place. So let's share your device and what your usage was this/last month. I'm looking for usage w/o tethering but you can share if you want.

Device: Evo 4G
    Usage: 2.3 GBs this billing cycle

Advertisement
  2. Drhyde

Drhyde Well-Known Member

My data is going to be high this month since I moved and haven't got my internet turned on so tethering it is. However, I usually go from 1 to 1.5 GB a month. I love to browse the web and download apps, ROMs, etc. but I don't go crazy with it, mostly because I don't have enough time.
  3. Exspyguy

Exspyguy Member

8-10 gig...

I use my iPhone as a bridge to the IP for xbox, my Macs, the TV which has some Internet functionality...

I used to have Uverse but the new place we live only has ATT dsl which suck....much like the 3G coverage....but the Dallas 3G speed is decent. 3-4 Mbp/s...which is fine for 35 bucks unlimited.

ATT dsl also gets marginalized by the horrid 2wire routers they use. It's fine if you are hard lined to it, but if 2 devices are on the network SSID....there is a lag that is depressing. So I just started using my phone as a router....

Then I decided to plug a time capsule into the Ethernet port, of the router, disable the radio, and configure the time capsule to accept and lease DHCP to The laptops, TV and XBOX, from a on a single IP forwarded from the 2wire 'DSL modem' since then the radio no longer works....and wouldn't you know it....ATT dsl doesn't suck as long as Apple is in the mix.

The dual n channel radios make for good media streaming too.

Hmmmmm I seem to have done too much coke.....

Anyway......8-10MB on the 3G plan.
  4. Thefoodman52

Thefoodman52 Well-Known Member

Lol, I'm not sure I want to know how to check my data usage... however...

How would I do it? You know what phone I'm using, so you should know what carrier.
  5. andygu3

andygu3 Well-Known Member

Data usage has gone up since I rooted: Rooted-over 3, Unrooted under 1
  6. PinkMirrorKirby

PinkMirrorKirby Well-Known Member

I can't have unlimited data usage, not enough money for that now, so I'm limited by 200MB, but it gets me through since I'm home most of the time.
  7. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

It should be on your bill or on your account details for data usage on your carrier's site.
  8. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum Moderator

I am a lightweight. Of course I have access to WiFi most of the time which accounts for most of the data.

[​IMG]
  9. lordofthereef

lordofthereef Well-Known Member

2-5 gig range for me. Depends on how much pandora I end up listening to :p
  10. darthlinux

darthlinux Well-Known Member

Including wireless I would say between 500Mb and 1Gb
  11. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery VIP Member

Last cycle was 900mb, this cycle is over 1.5GB. I've been trying my best to use up as much of my 6GB as possible! lol. I've been youtubing a lot since I am unable to download Pandora on the market :( Is it a US app only?

I was wondering what app breaks down the data usage for each app? Not sure it was 3G Watchdog or TrafficCounter but I remember I was able to check the stat but I couldn't find it again :(
  12. reinbeau

reinbeau Klaatu barada nikto VIP Member

I've got access to WIFI quite a bit, so my usage is low - >200 mb in October, >300 mb in November. I'm sure it will grow, I'm a new user.
  13. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum Moderator

Roze likes this.
  14. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

I have been in the 10+ club for the past year just about. That is without tethering too.
  15. toomuchgame441

toomuchgame441 Well-Known Member

Wow, what in the world do you do with your device? You must stream something constantly almost everyday.
  16. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

I listen to Pandora, Podcasts, watch videos and surf just about all day with my phone and I hardly ever use wifi. Now that I have the NHL Gamecenter app it will only get worse. :D
  17. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

320 MB so far this month. I didn't do a whole lot of streaming. And most of my large downloads (10 MB+) tend to be done over Wifi for speed reasons.

If I do a lot of tethering though, I can easily reach 1 GB though. Normally I am looking for ways to reduce my data usage, not because of a tariff or limit, but for speed. I don't like waiting around for things to load.