• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What else besides Handcent?

royta

Jun 13, 2010
I picked up my Droid on 6/5 and downloaded the latest Handcent that evening. Handcent is what the stock Messaging app should have been. However, I've noticed some problems with Handcent, and I'm very interested in another app.

For one, it will intermittently split the messages when it shouldn't. In other words, it will take a message that is under 160 characters and send it out in two or three different messages. Not good.

Two, I opened up the thread between my wife and I. I went to Batch mode so I could select which messages in the thread to be deleted. After selecting most of them, I then hit Delete selected. Every single message on the phone was deleted. I even went into the stock Messaging app and sure enough, they were all gone. Terrible.

So...what else is out there besides Handcent? I'm completely fine with having to pay for the app, as long as it isn't buggy and it has the features of Handcent.

As far as I'm concerned, Handcent can not be trusted.

Why do you say that?

Because my phone is substantially faster, more stable, less FC's and the stock app is SO much faster. I also eliminated double texts 100% as well as lost/deleted texts. I used it for the 160char limit that VZW has but now it's not needed and the stock app works just fine for longer messages so bye bye Handcent. I also deleted it off of my wife's phone and she had the same reports not to mention after my advice lots of friends deleted it and all of them say the same things.

Upvote 0
I used it for the 160char limit that VZW has but now it's not needed and the stock app works just fine for longer messages so bye bye Handcent.

VZW's 160 character limit? I've always been able to send 160+ characters to VZW customers when I was still using a non-smart phone. It's when I was sending a text to a non-VZW customer that I had the 160 character limit. Does Messaging automatically split?

Are you able to tell at a glance whether a message has been delivered with Messaging, or do you have to click on the message to see? It's been my experience that you have click on the message. With Handcent, it goes from the blue circle thingie to the green circle with the check mark. Basically it's like on a dumb phone. You look at the sent message and can immedietely tell whether the person's phone (as long as their carrier supports it) has received your text.

Upvote 0
VZW's 160 character limit? I've always been able to send 160+ characters to VZW customers when I was still using a non-smart phone. It's when I was sending a text to a non-VZW customer that I had the 160 character limit. Does Messaging automatically split?

Are you able to tell at a glance whether a message has been delivered with Messaging, or do you have to click on the message to see? It's been my experience that you have click on the message. With Handcent, it goes from the blue circle thingie to the green circle with the check mark. Basically it's like on a dumb phone. You look at the sent message and can immedietely tell whether the person's phone (as long as their carrier supports it) has received your text.

It used to not auto split at all and you would get a message from VZW stating that the limit was 160char. Then it began to split but you still got a return SMS EVERY time you created a message over 160char. Now it splits and no return message so options that split for you are no longer needed.

As for your second paragraph... I have no idea what you're talking about. I never even knew this existed with Handcent but I do know that the stock SMS program has little icons and what not, just don't pay much attention once the message has been sent.

Upvote 0
It used to not auto split at all and you would get a message from VZW stating that the limit was 160char. Then it began to split but you still got a return SMS EVERY time you created a message over 160char. Now it splits and no return message so options that split for you are no longer needed.

As for your second paragraph... I have no idea what you're talking about. I never even knew this existed with Handcent but I do know that the stock SMS program has little icons and what not, just don't pay much attention once the message has been sent.

The stock Messaging app splits? Are you saying it started doing it on it's own? Hmm, must be a carrier thing then. I don't think there's a way to customize which contacts get the split treatment like with Handcent though.

Yeah, with Handcent you have to go into to the Notifications settings. Or maybe the Sent Notifications settings. Or maybe the Received Notifications settings. It's in there, and it's an immediete visual letting you know the message has been delivered. With Messaging, the delivered icon is the same as the pending icon. You have to press and hold on the message and choose Message Details, or something like that, and then you can see if it's delivered or pending.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones