What email client to use?General

Last Updated:

1. dm33

dm33 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

What email client is best for use with the Incredible?

I'm using a G1 now, trying to move off an iPhone. The email situation doesn't seem very good.

I have a yahoo ID, another POP mail, gmail, and a several IMAP accounts.

How do folks access Yahoo mail? I've set it up with POP but the built in client doesn't handle it very well. The Gmail client is good for gmail but thats about it. I've tried some others like K-9 but it seems really buggy.

Whats the best email client? Did HTC write their own for the Incredible? Is it good? Does it handle POP, IMAP, Gmail well?

What email services can push email to the Incredible? I've been pretty spoiled getting my Yahoo mail instantly on the iPhone.

Advertisement
  2. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

Yahoo plus via pop works well just google how to setup yahoo plus mail, its on yahoos site but it works with any device trying to access yahoo plus email.

http://help.yahoo.com/us/mail/pop/pop-03.html

Heres the link i used to get mine setup a couple of times.

3. confluence

confluence Well-Known Member

i use the default HTC email client. it's much better than gmail, IMO. some people are married to the gmail app because of push.

i use gmail on the HTC email client but with imap. it is better than the android gmail client especially for HTC sense. the only benefit of gmail app over the HTC mail app is that gmail supports push and HTC mail doesn't. this is not an issue for me because i don't need to see email immediately. i have mine set to check for new email every 30 minutes. it can be set to check in smaller intervals also. the smaller the interval, though, the more power you consume.

without a doubt sense fills in the "holes" of android. one of those "holes" is email. here is a list of the benefits of the HTC mail client over the android gmail client:

1. exchange syncing works properly
    2. html email works better
    3. attachments work properly
    4. copy and paste works properly
    5. if using sense mail widgets, HTC mail works with these widgets
    6. mail from HTC mail app show in contacts (unified slider thing)
    7. imap folders work
    8. pinch and zoom

downside:
    1. i guess it doesn't support push

*note that if you are using gmail; so that you are not downloading your google mail with both the gmail app and the HTC mail app, make sure to go to Settings -> Accounts & Sync -> google -> then uncheck sync gmail.

Android doesn't allow you to uninstall the gmail app so this is workaround that i use so that i am not downloading my google mail with the gmail app and will only download with the HTC mail app.

Don't listen to blog writers that say things like, "copy and paste doesn't work in email on HTC sense" because it does. copy and paste doesn't work on gmail. it's not fair to HTC for these writers to do a review on HTC sense and then say that copy and paste doesn't work on HTC sense as that should be on a review of the android gmail app.

4. Ladera

Ladera Well-Known Member

Will Yahoo plus "push" the email to the HTC email app? How about if you use Gmail with the HTC email app?

Reprobate and Mahalo like this.
  5. Zyke

Zyke Member

Android is Google's mobile OS - Gmail will always work the best because Google will optimize Android for it.

And, IMO, you should use gmail anyway. Why anyone still uses yahoo / hotmail is beyond me.

6. gatorjm7

gatorjm7 Well-Known Member

Will this prevent my Google Calendar from syncing because it's connected to that Gmail account, or are the separate check boxes?

7. confluence

push yahoo = i guess not
    gmail works with HTC email app = yes

apparrently HTC email app pulls based on the choice of 5, 10, 15.. etc minutes.

Tony Touch and Ladera like this.
  8. confluence

it will not prevent google calendar from syncing. you can still leave google calendar and google contacts syncing.

gatorjm7 likes this.
  9. pikappetapi022

pikappetapi022 Well-Known Member

Not trying to start a fight but what is wrong with hotmail, yahoo etc????

10. the_animal99

the_animal99 Active Member

I've heard others say that you need to have two Gmail addresses if you want to use the HTC mail app: that the first Gmail address would automatically be set to the default Gmail app and that the second Gmail address could be used for the HTC mail app. So does this workaround of unchecking syncing Gmail in the Gmail app mean that you only need to use one Gmail address?

Also, does the HTC mail app recognize Gmail folders?

Thanks for any info!

11. phobic

phobic Well-Known Member

You can manually specify what you'd like to sync. There's separate options for contacts, gmail, and calendar.

Alfdroid and gatorjm7 like this.
  12. fastharryDOTcom

fastharryDOTcom Well-Known Member

tagged..thanks

13. confluence

1. You do not need to have two gmail addresses.
    2. Yes, folders are recognized in HTC mail. Press Menu -> Folders

the_animal99 likes this.
  14. Doitle

Doitle Active Member

I was wondering about some of these email questions. I just preordered the Incredible. I've got two Gmail accounts, a personal one and an "apps" email through my university. I was hoping I could get both pushed to my phone but I wasn't sure how it would all work out. Does anyone have this sort of setup working on an incredible or eris with sense?

15. confluence

There is absolutely nothing wrong with yahoo or hotmail. They use a different protocol (pop3) than gmail (imap). The difference is that imap is a "sync" with email server. Pop3 simply downloads and uploads mail to and from the server. For some reason, people think gmail is "optimized" in Android. This is not true. Android simply signs in your gmail automatically when you first turn on your phone. Because of this ease of signing in, it is assumed that something is "optimized". Again, it is not. the gmail app and the htc mail app handle imap exactly the same.

Tony Touch likes this.
  16. confluence

Another advantage of HTC mail app over gmail app:

-the HTC mail app works with the unified contacts thing in HTC sense

it's the slider thing under each person in your contact

if you slide to check mail from a certain person, it will not show your email from your gmail app but it will show your email from the HTC mail app.

17. Plumrt

Plumrt Well-Known Member

On my Droid I've got 2 apps. Email and Gmail. My gmail imap acct are setup seemingly totally seperate from the Email app. Never do the two meet and I am not sure how this will look INcredible? Dup my gmail accts in the Sense app w/other email(hotmail specifically)

18. amarryat

amarryat Well-Known Member

Based on what I am reading in this thread, it sounds like Android doesn't have push email at all - just pull POP and pull IMAP. True?

19. Plumrt

Plumrt Well-Known Member

My Droid gets pushed to it fine. I recieve all emails very fast, not several min later.
    ps, both hotmail and gmail

20. confluence

I don't know about push.

21. confluence

just noticed another advantage of HTC mail app over gmail app:

pinch to zoom works in HTC mail.

22. amarryat

amarryat Well-Known Member

I am curious about Yahoo mail. Unlike another poster in here, I think Yahoo's mail client is second to none.

23. phositadc

phositadc Well-Known Member

I've heard that only the Gmail app is true PUSH. If you use the HTC Sense Mail app, you have to tell it to pull your email every 5, 10, 15, whatever minutes.

True?

24. confluence

Sounds right.

I guess that is the advantage of the gmail app over the htc mail app?

25. phositadc

phositadc Well-Known Member

Yeah, that seems right. Pretty big advantage in my book. Although I agree that it sounds like the HTC Sense Mail app has some pretty big advantages, too.