1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

What exactly happens when I root (and other questions)

1. gpaciga

gpaciga New Member

My phone has recently hit an error that I can't resolve (if interested see here) so I think I need to do a factory reset. It seems like this might be as good a time as any to root the phone, so I've been reading up on it in the sticky on this forum and here, and have some unresolved questions.

FYI, I'm using on the Telus Network in Canada, on Android 2.1.

1) Is it possible to root my phone without "flashing" it? One guide warned that flashing with a "non-service" SBF would wipe data, so I'm wondering if there is a service SBF (does that mean a Telus SBF?) that I could use. I would really like to recover my data before doing a reset, and I *might* be able to do that if I can root the phone first.

2) The rooting guides I've read mostly involve using a Brazilian SBF, even though there are Canadian Telus SBFs listed here, which I found through links in the sticky on this site. Can I use that instead? And if so, since there are several, which one? Or, what are the differences between them? There is even an Android 2.2 version from Telus a little further down on that page that I would love to use *if* it works, is stable, and has all the features (at least as much as I can expect from something like that, i.e., as much as the 2.1 SBFs available)

3) Let's say I root successfully. Will I still be able to reset the phone to factory settings using the recovery mode, or will that recovery data be lost too? (I get the feeling this might have been explained but in terminology I didn't catch; something to do with "vulnerable recovery"?) One of the guides warned that there is not a Telus SBF to fall back on, but I doubt the truth/significance of that statement.

4) While I'm here, I might as well ask, it seems like rooting on Ubuntu isn't possible because RSD only runs on Windows... is this still the case or can I get around this? Should I just find a Windows machine?

Thanks in advance for any answers or clarifications you might provide. Let me know if there is more information I can give to help.

Advertisement
    :