1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

What exactly is "deodexed"?

1. ronaldramsayii

ronaldramsayii Well-Known Member Developer

I've seen so many developers say "deodexed" or something like that. What exactly does that mean?

Advertisement
    :
    fall0utz and maluminse like this.
  2. nstallion

nstallion Well-Known Member

In simple terms it's sort of like decompiling an Android application so you can take it apart and change things about it. There is a more complicated explanation involving the Dalvik Java runtime machine and how dex files are optimized but that seems unnecessary.
  3. ronaldramsayii

Ok so when i see a developers that says he/she "deodexed" FRF72, could that possibly mean that he did it so it can be put on the Droid?
  4. nstallion

nstallion Well-Known Member

If someone were porting it to the Droid, that would be part of the process.
  5. ronaldramsayii

Oh ok. Gotcha.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  6. ech0

ech0 Active Member

While the CyanogenMod Wiki doesn't have a definition for "deodexed," it does include a lot of other terminology if you're curious. (For me, I was never sure what 'zipaligned' meant.)

Terminology - CyanogenMod Wiki
    cdunkle584, wehnertb, aafreen and 7 others like this.
  7. reinbeau

reinbeau Klaatu barada nikto VIP Member

I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to say thank you so much for posting this. It turned up on a Google search when I was wondering what 'deodexed' meant - these definitions are just as valuable to me! :)
  8. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

In return, thank you for 1) using the Thanks button! 2) Being an obviously kewl individual with a very very big gun lol
  9. reinbeau

reinbeau Klaatu barada nikto VIP Member

Thanx, but that's just my squirrel gun - shoots a bullet a little bit bigger than a .22. My SKS is better ;)
  10. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

Don't know much about guns, but I know that .22s are not all that large lol. But you've got a scope on it - those squirrels must be feisty!
  11. Scur

Scur Well-Known Member

Bump for the info after a search turned it up.
  12. vipul619

vipul619 Well-Known Member

doing exactly this 9 months later.. :D
    thnx for the link :D
  13. maluminse

maluminse Well-Known Member

Ok so why would a published rom be de-odexed and another be not deodexed? is that so develoopers can dl the deodexed and play with it? Or does that mean the non-deodexed is 'baked in' with kernal etc?