• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What features do you want on the Evo 2?

Ummmm....wrong. working in word and excel is f'n annoying with any type of onscreen keyboard. Plus any onscreen keyboard takes up screen real estate no matter what form its in. Quick texts, few sentence emails and such are fine, but multi paragraph emails and anything requiring time and thought is easier with a physical keyboard. If they were old news there wouldn"t be a droid 2, desire z (and its cousins) or an epic. Guess the powers to be at those companies disagree with you.
Physical keyboards are old news. Swipe on-screen keyboards, like swype and ultra, really make you forget and loathe any kind of actual "typing".... LOL.

And I'd like to see Marvell's new triple core processor, edge to edge samoled screen (no bezel), and a larger battery at the expense of ultra thinness or what not. The triple core processor runs on a single core with the other two kicking in when needed. Lots of potential with it.

Upvote 0
So when I bought my EVO on day one I was really blown away. Sprint's never had anything that can compare and until this date EVO and EPIC stand alone on Sprint network. But to me the EPIC isn't a HTC. So im wonderin if HTC plans on maybe releasing a EVO 2 sometime next year? Or something comparable to it on SPRINT network. Maybe it's weird that I only want to stick to HTC but I really love there phones and what they bring to the table.

Upvote 0
What I don't want to see is a keyboard! I really hope they dont mess it up like that. More memory better camera .... but this phone is awesome! And white or different color selections

The Evo 2 will not have a keyboard, they would not use the Evo name on a device that much different from the original. There is a small possibility they could call a keyboarded version the Evo Pro but I even doubt that.

What I want in the next Evo, same overall dimensions but a higher resolution screen. Seems the HTC has been on the 800*480 for a while and may be due for a resolution increase. Also a beefier dual core processor with a more advanced GPU. And lastly, a better camera. I'm not talking megapixels, im talking a better quality sensor.

But its pointless for me to dream about the Evo 2 when I still cant buy the original Evo yet because I'm a swac member and Sprint hates their employees :D

Reactions: MegaManR
Upvote 0
No keyboard please, keyboards add bulk, look at any other device that has a keyboard and non-keyboard version and you realize its not worth it. Once you adapt to a touchscreen you will realize its use can be very fluid. keyboards will be the past. If they want to add bulk, make it for a bigger battery. If you want buttoned keyboard, buy another phone, don't want to see them ruin the EVO. I came from a touch Pro and the keyboard added significant bulk to the phone.

Upvote 0
No keyboard please, keyboards add bulk, look at any other device that has a keyboard and non-keyboard version and you realize its not worth it. Once you adapt to a touchscreen you will realize its use can be very fluid. keyboards will be the past. If they want to add bulk, make it for a bigger battery. If you want buttoned keyboard, buy another phone, don't want to see them ruin the EVO. I came from a touch Pro and the keyboard added significant bulk to the phone.

No way an EVO 2 has a hardware keyboard, but the lack of one is the one thing I hate about my EVO. Love everything else. It's been long enough that I know I'll never get used to a touchscreen only keyboard. Even if there's an EVO 2 I'll probably look at alternatives that have a hard keyboard.

Upvote 0

A keyboard would be welcomed by many. Even though I have gotten somewhat used to the onscreen keyboard, I will never like it more than a physical keyboard, but to each his own.

As far as adding bulk, I had a TP, it is only a few tenths of an inch thicker than the Evo, but I keep hearing people say "it is so much bulkier". Really, a few tenths difference, how thin does your phone have to be?

Upvote 0
If they make the HTC 1 the next Evo, that would be awesome!!

design fabulous: HTC 1

That looks cool!

On edit: Looked at it from my Evo the first time and couldn't read the text, what idiot would make a phone out of machined brass??? Drop any brass part (of the weight this would be looking at the designs) on the ground from average phone height and see what happens! A better material would be one of the harder grades of aluminum such as 6061 T6511 which is hard enough to be considered "free machining", meaning you can cut threads directly into it and it will hold high torque loads.

Upvote 0
I wouldn't buy one if it had a physical keyboard.
The EVO is amazing as is, just some tweaks (power button should come out like a 1/2 mm more, camera shouldn't come out at all, dual processor, better battery life, better resolution, better camera (though I think the camera has been great), everything that has been said so far...)
NO PHYSICAL KEYBOARD. That's the reason I bought the EVO in the first place - cuz it doesn't have one. There's no need to spend more money and time and testing and electronics making sliders and hardware keyboards... not necessary to me.

Upvote 0
I want a keyboard(but not on any EVO unless it's a 'pro' version so as not to alienate current EVO-ites), I've tried every typing option under the sun on this thing and still hate it. Love the phone otherwise though. Thing is I don't like landscape hardware keyboards either, too far for thumbs to travel, so I'm SOL regardless. Portrait keyboards kick ass, the smaller the better. Was playing with my old Palm Centro the other day and can still type on that tiny keyboard fast and without looking at the keys which is what I miss most. Having to look at a keyboard, and it covering the screen, is extremely cumbersome.

Upvote 0
Things that I think would make EVO better (what I think the EVO 2 should have):

One of Qualcomm's snappy new processors
Camera that doesn't stick out.
Higher Resolution screen (HTC's rumored SAMOLED variation?)
Perhaps a sturdier (read- less plastic) body, while retaining a thin, sleek build. (EDIT: I love how the Desire HD looks, but I like the contour display of the nexus S. Throw those together with a little more coated metal and I'm in.)

I can't really think of anything else, the EVO is so close to perfect for me. Just enhanced hardware and a touched up body design would really be all I could ask for.

Upvote 0
to everyone hoping for Super AMOLED, it won't happen. Samsung is gonna take that tech with them to the grave.

however, HTC is currently designing technology similar to SAMOLED. just thought i'd throw that out there

rumors are it'll be featured on the HTC Sabor, which is coming to Sprint Q1 2011

I definitely don't think they will take it to the grave. There will always be something better. Once something better comes out they will push it out to other phones besides their own. Just like they did with Amoled.

You can definitely expect a successor to a Evo. When? Idk, but you can expect another. They already took name in the branding with the upcoming HTC Evo Shift/Knight 4G. Almost like a Droid series. That would be awesome for Sprint. I would expect it to have a dual core Qualcomm. Personally I would want it to have dual Tegra 2. I'm sure there is a difference in dual Qualcomm and Tegra 2, but I'm not sure which is better. I would assume Tegra 2 is.

Upvote 0
Those of you wishing for a physical keyboard just go buy an Epic.

I have both the Evo and Epic, and 99% of the time I do not use the keyboard on the Epic. In fact I'd be just fine if they got rid of the hardware keyboard on the Epic.

This is coming from a Moment where I used the hard keyboard most of the time. On the larger screens it's just not needed.

The real Evo replacement (not the crappy Evo Shift or whatever it's called) better be thin and not have a keyboard.

Upvote 0
Right now, the only feature that would make me consider replacing my Evo is battery life, SIGNIFICANTLY improved battery life!!! I'm not into hard core 3d gaming, so I don't need more device speed and probably won't for quite a while. Better camera optics would be nice as would a usable flash, but the Evo's camera meets my needs just fine. The only thing that limits my enjoyment of this device is the battery. I may be alone here, but if they offered a similar spec phone with double the battery life in the same package size? I'm there! Dual core super gpu bright screen with the same barely passable battery life that makes me buy and carry spares and place chargers all over home, car and work? I'll wait!

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones