What FM transmitter are you using with your N1?

Last Updated:

1. lmyamen

lmyamen Active Member This Topic's Starter

I no longer have an iPod and am putting all my music on my n1 now. I used the isyncr app to transfer all my iTunes music to my phone (which worked perfectly by the way) now I want to listen to music in my car. what fm transmitters are you guys using? here is one I have found and am thinking about getting what do you think of it, has any one purchased it yet from here?

Buy Cheap Nexus One Cases & Accessories - Advanced Car Mount System FM Transmitter & Charger for ANDROID Phones - HTC, Google, T-Mobile, Motorola, Samsung

Advertisement
  2. tyler_durden

tyler_durden Member

I have been using one of these- I got it long before I got my nexus one, but the one you posted looks much better since it will hold the phone where it can be reached for GPS, dialing, etc.

Does it work OK for hands-free phone use? Will the phone's mic pick up your voice OK while driving? Right now I have a GPS unit with bluetooth and speakers for hands-free phone use, but I prefer to use the FM radio in the car for playing music off the 16 GB card in my phone.

How is the strength of the signal from your modulator? Mine is just adequate- I wish it were a little stronger. I am hoping that the next update to Android will turn on the internal FM transmitter...

TD

3. SnotF

SnotF Well-Known Member

What makes you think it has an internal fm transmitter? As far as I've read its just a receiver..

4. lmyamen

lmyamen Active Member This Topic's Starter

Im not worried about an internal fm transmitter, i just want to find a nice working reasonably priced one that plugs into my cars cig lighter and works with my N1, that way i wont have to use an ipod.

5. SnotF

SnotF Well-Known Member

I gather that. Fm modulators are governed by the fcc, no one will be more powerful than another. The best luck you're gonna have is by using a line in when you can.

6. jonno2k

jonno2k Active Member

I'm not saying the hardware is necessarily connected properly but from the Broadcom datasheet:

FM
    Host Interface: High-speed UART, I2C for control
    Standard: RDS (Europe)
    RBDS (North America)
    Operating Frequency: 76

7. konman795

konman795 Well-Known Member

If you have the cash, try to invest in a Bluetooth car stereo. I just recently put one in and it is amazing getting a direct data stream with no inference from my nexus to the radio.

8. jettrue

jettrue Active Member

Are you saying the PHONE doesn't have an fm transmitter? He's not talking about his phone actually transmitting via FM (then you'd have no need for a separate device), you buy a third party piece of hardware that your phone line out connects to, then IT tranfers via FM TO your car stereo. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you, SnotF. :D

I second the suggestion to get a car stereo with either bluetooth or a line in. In my experience using an FM transmitter is crappy quality and a PITA. You can get a nice stereo with a line in for ~$100 bucks and get it installed at best buy. That's what I did in my old car.