• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root What gets deleted during these steps in installing a rom?

Curt941

Android Enthusiast
Jun 6, 2010
7.) Wipe data/factory reset (Again not required all the time but unless you are sure it will work without wiping its smart to do so.)
8.) Wipe Cache Partition (Again not required all the time but unless you are sure it will work without wiping its smart to do so.)

I've been switching between roms on my wife's droid and haven't been doing these steps, because I don't want to delete her texts.

I did a titanium backup before switching and then before switching roms the first time I did a nandroid backup.

Does the nandroid backup text messages? I assume Titanium backup backs up all the apps and settings on the phone?

The nandroid backup is an exact copy of how your phone is when you backup, so texts will be saved.

Try mybackup pro or mybackup...I know the pro will save texts, I'm not sure about the free version.

It's pretty funny that you mention this, my wifes Droid is rooted 2.1 stock (took forever for her to let me do it) and now with the announcement of 2.2 coming next week I told her I needed to put a ROM on it and the first thing she says is "what about my texts?"

I was going to give mybackup a try.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones