• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What goes up must come down...

Well, they were using old Soviet rocket engines from the 60's. That's pretty funny.

China uses very much the same designs and ideas from the Soviet and Russian space programs, Chinese space suits are identical to Russian, and the current Shenzhou ships, they're slightly larger versions of the Soyuz spacecraft, originally designed in the 1960s.

North Korea space program:
320x180px-LL-782c0251_aU216.gif

Upvote 0
I don't think anybody is experiencing fear.

My favorite line from Armageddon is when Steve Buscemi talks about all the components on the shuttle that are built by the lowest bidder, lol.

There's the movie Capricorn One, about a NASA Mars mission that has to be faked.

Where we find out why the mission has to be faked...
"And guess what! We had a screw-up! A first-class, bona-fide, made-in-America screw-up! The good people from Con-Amalgamate delivered a life-support system cheap enough so they could make a profit on the deal. Works out fine for everybody. Con-Amalgamate makes money. We have our life-support system. Everything's peachy. Except they made a little bit too much profit. We found out two months ago it won't work. You guys would all be dead in three weeks."
Capricorn One (1977) - Quotes - IMDb

Upvote 0
Wallops must a bit closer to civilization than the big guys in FL. There were warnings about people picking up debris. I think what rattled people the most is that any rocket launched in the US has a destruct button. All of the manned space vehicles had one. Those destruct overrides have to be in working order before any launch.

From what I heard about safety for the Antares, it sounded like it had slacked off a bit due to costs. If a procedure had been tried and had no problem for years, some QC (like having a live watcher) might have been skipped. Probably recorded, though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones