• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What good is the front camera now?

Qik will be implementing FaceTime to make it's videochat finally work. I don't think the current Qik efforts were ever going to be smooth so a joint-venture was the only option. Interestingly, FaceTime for iPhone is only via wifi because ATT network cannot handle the traffic.

As for other options, Adobe Air for Android is supposed to be released in October and bring another videochat option to the platform. The advantage of Adobe Air is that it's supposed to connect easier with other devices and computers that already have Adobe Air on them. And of course as long as the download is free, it will show up everwhere making it easier to communicate across platforms and devices.

This type of communication thus far hasn't been pushed because it will tax networks and cause a bump in data consumption if heavily used. That said, I think vid-chat is more of nice-option feature than a necessity (except for heavy travelers) because most people won't do it any more than they would with a PC. Vid-chat's been much easier to do abroad for quite a while, and it's not the biggest thing there either.

Upvote 0
Qik will be implementing FaceTime to make it's videochat finally work. I don't think the current Qik efforts were ever going to be smooth so a joint-venture was the only option. Interestingly, FaceTime for iPhone is only via wifi because ATT network cannot handle the traffic.
qik finally has been rock solid for me & my girl for the last month or so... it always connects on the 1st or 2nd try... and picture & sound quality is good as long as we are both on 4g or wifi... but it took them long enough to get shit straight... the only complaint I've got is the push to talk button... I understand why its there, but I wish there was an option to disable it because we use headphones, which eliminates the need for push to talk

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones