• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root what happened to my DInc? brick?!?

sockrebel

May 1, 2010
ok... i'm freaking out...

Rooted phone with Unrevoked 3.22
Installed ROM manager
Did backup with ROM manager
Flashed Clockworkmod Recovery
Installed CyanogenROM (did backup before switching)

didn't like Cyanogen, went to ROM manager,
clicked on restore/recover
had two backups, picked latest one
DInc was doing some stuff (backup, not sure)

now screen is completely black/off.
green/red charging light not on / doesn't change with plugging in.

power button (or power + vol down) doesn't do anything.

please help.

yes, i saw that link earlier. not sure what to do with it.

i definitely have an AMOLED screen, not LCD, so I don't think that's the issue.

reflashing from my computer doesn't do anything... keeps saying "Waiting for device. Plug phone in now and enable USB debugging. You may require Linux root access." (I'm running as root.)

I don't know how to reboot into recovery. My phone is non-responsive.

Upvote 0
sorry for not responding. I decided to step away from my phone and computer for a bit to calm down.

Pulling the battery did indeed work. It started back up in its restored (still rooted) mode.

But now I'm hesitant to do anything else with it.

Don't be too nervous, you aren't the first person this has happened to hence the multiple mentions of the battery pull idea. It's just a fluke that seems to happen every once in awhile.

The following is my advice only, other's thoughts may vary... I do not like to use Rom Manger to backup/restore. I think the most solid way to do this is directly through CWM. There just seems to be these occasional glitches that occur.

Most of the temporarily unresponsive phones I've heard of in my travels were from people using RM directly prior. I own the app and am not bashing it in any way, shape or form. Just casually mentioning what I've noticed. To date, I haven't heard of any real bricks from it but it's certainly a spooky thing to have happen.

YMMV.

Upvote 0
Most of the temporarily unresponsive phones I've heard of in my travels were from people using RM directly prior. I own the app and am not bashing it in any way, shape or form. Just casually mentioning what I've noticed. To date, I haven't heard of any real bricks from it but it's certainly a spooky thing to have happen.

YMMV.
I agree. I like RM. I have the pay/donate version, but I do not think new rooters should use it. It is best to go through clockworkmod recovery and do it the old fashioned way a few times to get used to the steps.

Upvote 0
sorry for not responding. I decided to step away from my phone and computer for a bit to calm down.

Pulling the battery did indeed work. It started back up in its restored (still rooted) mode.

But now I'm hesitant to do anything else with it.
Good news, our record is still safe. Now that you have it back to normal and you know that you can always restore, give it another go. That's the reason you did it in the first place so jump back in, imo.

One thing you need to do is make sure that after you get into the hboot screen, wait a few seconds until the text scrolls by, then volume down to recovery, then hit the power button. The screen will flash HTC Incre.. and in a second or two you're in recovery mode. Use your trackball to navigate and the power button to back out of menus.

Good luck.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones