What happened to my pictures?!

Last Updated:

1. Romparoo

Romparoo Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Last night I flashed a new ROM, Eris Lighting. I had 181 pictures on my SD card. After I flashed I had only 37, this is the only media (pictures, video, music) that was affected.

I then flashed my nandroid backup to Evil Eris and my 181 pictures where back, sort of. Apparently they are not, just the count was and after a few minutes of the SD formating itself the count went back down to 37.

I have restored several nandroid backups from the last few days hoping this will help, but it has not.

Any ideas? Luckily my last back up was on 4-29, so I am not at a total lost of pictures.

Advertisement
  2. raphifix

raphifix Well-Known Member

Your pictures should be untouched on your SD card.

3. cableguynoe

cableguynoe Well-Known Member

if you partitioned your SD card, you are SOL

4. erisuser1

erisuser1 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure this is what is happening to you, but you could certainly check with a file explorer.

Even when you do not swap ROMs, but do a FR on the same ROM, the camera app resets it's "picture number counter". After that, it starts back at 0001 - sort of. The "sort of" part is that it won't overwrite photos of the same name, so it keeps ratcheting up the count until it finds that no photo is present with the same name.

That means that it starts writing "new" pictures in the gaps between old pictures where you deleted previous camera shots.

So, for instance, if the last time you took a picture, you noticed that the picture counter was at 187, and (after a FR or a new ROM) it suddenly shows 37 - that probably means you deleted picture #37 a long time ago.

Use a file explorer to sort by name, and then sort by date - you'll see what I mean.

If it literally is an issue of missing files - then I don't know what the trouble is.

eu1

5. Romparoo

Romparoo Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ya, I am not sure what happened. I looked through my entire card and no luck finding the pictures. Like I said, I backed up a month ago so I didn't loose too much, just some small precious moments of my children that I will never see again! :p

It does make sense about the camera and picture numbers, the pictures I took in the last couple days started at 1. And like I said the pictures are the only thing that was missing on my sd card.