What happened to my Voice Dial

Last Updated:

1. Teezy

Teezy Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I use to be able to hold down the magnifying glass on the Droid and say "Call John Doe mobile" to call someone. Now for some reason when i do it it only gives me a google search option although i can still say "Navigate to 123 Whatever RD" and it will open up the navigator but why is my voice dial not working anymore, anyone have any ideas on how to fix this.

Advertisement
  2. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

Does "Voice Search" appear in your all applications tray?

3. Teezy

voice search yes its in the application tray

4. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

Go to Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Menu button > Filter > All > scroll down to Voice Search and tap

See if you can clear defaults in that screen. If not, you may have to scroll through the list of apps and figure out what took over the default. Try Google Search, or any other search app. Or maybe another voice app.

Sorry I'm not much help ... but I'm trying.

crankerchick likes this.
  5. Teezy

that didn't fix it. Guess i'm going to have to just put the voice dialer icon on my home screen and do it that way. Hopefully someone knows whats up and can come with a solution. Thanks for trying

6. low

low Member

My phone is doing this now too, did you happen to find a solution? I tried the above suggestion, and it didn't work for me...

Edit: I think messenger13's suggestion is on the right track, because mine used to work and then stopped working at some point...

7. Teezy

nope havent found a solution. I'm wondering if an update messed it up.

8. low

low Member

Could be. Maybe 2.1 will fix it.

9. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Well-Known Member

Mine works, just tried it.
    Make sure 'contacts' is listed as searchable. Menu/search/searchable items/contacts.

10. low

low Member

Just checked, contacts are set as searchable. Good call though(no pun intended) ;)

Edit:and actually, browser searchable was unchecked and that's what comes up...

11. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Well-Known Member

I was actually surprised mine worked just now...it hardly ever does. I never use it, I hate it. It works really well for Google searches and Nav commands but is a piece of crap when it comes to voice dialing! That's why I removed the voice dial icon and only use the long-press on the magnifying glass these days (for everything except voice dial!).
    Maybe that's why yours doesn't work...'cause it's crap :D

12. kbayer

kbayer Well-Known Member

My voice search just crapped out. Says "no connection, try again"... 2nd or 3rd time works. Then crap again. Wondering if there's a relation. Found this about clearing cache along the lines of Messenger's suggestion: https://supportforums.motorola.com/message/69399

13. swr2000

swr2000 Well-Known Member

I actually had a similar issue after I rooted with the Sholes app. I rooted and then reinstalled the 2.01 rom that's included. After I reinstalled that my voice search wouldn't work. The only way I found to get it reinstalled was to do a factory reset. Not sure if you rooted but just throwing it out there.

14. kbayer

kbayer Well-Known Member

Clearing the "voice search" cache fixed for me (at least, so far...).

15. crankerchick

crankerchick Well-Known Member

thanks, clearing the cache worked for me too. i did a factory reset the other day and found yesterday my voice search wasn't working for dialing contacts. saying "call <contact name>" would result in finding the contact with an option to add a number (as if the contact didn't exist) and then when I would tap that, it would say contact didn't exist. I just cleared the cache and now it seems to work like it did before the reset.

i found using the voice search to be more useful than voice dial since the voice dial always leaves me with a confirm screen to have to press something to make it dial, even if there was only one match. the voice search, if it finds a match for the contact, it will dial automatically after a time, even if you don't press dial.

16. WolfmansBrutha

WolfmansBrutha New Member

Sorry to bump an aging thread, but my Voice Search just crapped out on me yesterday out of nowhere. I'm on firmware v2.1-update 1.

I mainly use it in the car from a dock. So, pressing Voice Dial would normally dial whoever I spoke in one try. Now, no matter what I say, it does a Google search.

I've cleared the cache, made sure Contacts are set to be searchable (even shutting off everything BUT Contacts still results in a Google search), couldn't clear defaults because it's grayed out. I've rebooted my phone, and it's not rooted.

Please, someone help. This was the only thing vaguely approaching hands-free dialing with the unconscionable lack of bluetooth support. I'm stuck on a contract with this phone that gets more questionable by the day and support is useless.