• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help What happened to the Swype keyboard?

Jskid

Sep 19, 2011
Whatever happened to the Swype app? It says I need to update to the newest version and I can't find it in the market. I tried SlideIT and it sucks compared to Swype. And now that I tried SlideIT Swype is screwed up and always says "please try again" and you have to press every button once.

Well, I may be wrong (I don't have an ARC but do use swype and have followed it since the omnia 2 release) but I thought the arc came with a sony "gesture" keyboard, not actual "swype", some don't realise that "Swype" is a brand name and a company that has recently been aquired by Nuance, thus changing how you can get it on android, I too had to get the beta to run it on my commando. I have tried 15 or so different keyboards after migrating to android from my omnia 2 (the first phone ever to have swipe) and have found that there is no real substitute for it available, not T9trace, not BK8 not any of it, so I use the beta. Now I'm not for sure on why they took swype off the android market but still give it to us for free, but I do know that if swype was native on your phone and you downloaded beta from the market it caused force close and now they ask you some device info before just letting you load it up so that may be why.

Good luck with your keyboard,
John

Reactions: Jskid
Upvote 0
Well, I may be wrong (I don't have an ARC but do use swype and have followed it since the omnia 2 release) but I thought the arc came with a sony "gesture" keyboard, not actual "swype", some don't realise that "Swype" is a brand name and a company that has recently been aquired by Nuance, thus changing how you can get it on android, I too had to get the beta to run it on my commando. I have tried 15 or so different keyboards after migrating to android from my omnia 2 (the first phone ever to have swipe) and have found that there is no real substitute for it available, not T9trace, not BK8 not any of it, so I use the beta. Now I'm not for sure on why they took swype off the android market but still give it to us for free, but I do know that if swype was native on your phone and you downloaded beta from the market it caused force close and now they ask you some device info before just letting you load it up so that may be why.

Good luck with your keyboard,
John

Thanks works perfectly

Upvote 0
Joe you don't see it because it doesn't exist, it is not "Swype" it is part of the sony "gesture" keyboard. Swype as I stated is a BRAND NAME. For another example of this type of brand smearing try going to texas to order a "coke" the pinhead waitress will ask "what kinda coke? sprite coke, cherry coke, root beer coke?" Sure it's all soda, but not coke right? there is a native swype-like app in the sony stuff now but people need to quit calling it swype, that video blogger should get his ears knocked for putting that up as swipe(although mis-spelled) when it is called "gesture" by the manufacturer.

Rant complete, Go to the website and get the beta, you won't regret it.

Upvote 0
Joe you don't see it because it doesn't exist, it is not "Swype" it is part of the sony "gesture" keyboard. Swype as I stated is a BRAND NAME. For another example of this type of brand smearing try going to texas to order a "coke" the pinhead waitress will ask "what kinda coke? sprite coke, cherry coke, root beer coke?" Sure it's all soda, but not coke right? there is a native swype-like app in the sony stuff now but people need to quit calling it swype, that video blogger should get his ears knocked for putting that up as swipe(although mis-spelled) when it is called "gesture" by the manufacturer.

Rant complete, Go to the website and get the beta, you won't regret it.

Just to clarify you are right about "Swype", it is a brand name. However Swipe with an "i" is not and for example I just tried two different phones with 2.3.4 one Arc and one Neo and on the Arc if you go into the Text input settings under International Keyboard you will see as you stated "Gesture input" but on the Neo you have "Swipe to write" instead. So you were right about Swype being a brand name but you might see it with an "i' instead in some of our phones instead of seeing "Gesture".

Upvote 0
ah thanks for the check up, mighty cheeky of them, shame they are riping a name like that, if Texans knew how to spell I'd ask if thats how it worked in the "coke" example I gave... Anyhow, I thought this thread was posted by someone wanting the brand SWYPE keyboard, which I helped to find, and was based on the ARC platform, which I researched. It is too bad they are trying to drag that interface down with all these fakes, sometimes I know an off shoot of a system leads to improvement but in this case it seems like genuinely inferior systems trying to ride on coat tails. I could understand apple suing HTC if HTC had branded their older devices as EyePhone and made them white with one button on the bottom but I think they are absurdly overstepping. Unlike this situation with swype/swipe which I think is pretty blatant infringement of intelectual theory/property and a genuine "non-obvious" interface that has revolutionized texting.

Anyhow, good luck with your keyboard choices, but I will continue to tell people "That's not Swype, try the real thing, it's free".

Upvote 0
Just to clarify you are right about "Swype", it is a brand name. However Swipe with an "i" is not and for example I just tried two different phones with 2.3.4 one Arc and one Neo and on the Arc if you go into the Text input settings under International Keyboard you will see as you stated "Gesture input" but on the Neo you have "Swipe to write" instead. So you were right about Swype being a brand name but you might see it with an "i' instead in some of our phones instead of seeing "Gesture".

thank you everyone for your help. i just enable 'gesture input' under the international keyboard settings and it works great. perhaps i can now remove swype from my phone.

happy holidays...

Upvote 0
Interesting. I had no idea about this Gesture keyboard. Being that my phones internal memory is low, I may try it and get rid of Swype.

How does it compare?

gesture keyboard does the job given it's free. unfortunately it does not provide a list of words when you tap on the word again and in my opinion it's not as good as swype, then again it's FREE

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones