What happened to the "Where" ApplicationSupport

Last Updated: 2011-11-11 22:14:01
  1. Blazin65

Blazin65 Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

I was using the "Where" application when I first bought my phone to read the news. I really liked the way it had the news broken into US News, Sports, Entertainment, Odd News, etc. I thought it was very user friendly.

But they changed the app somehow. I don't even think there is "news" on the app anymore from what I can tell.

Does anyone else have a recommendation on a similar easy to use app? I know there is FOX and CNN but I would like a recommendation on another source?

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. hiwatt

hiwatt Well-Known Member

I went and looked at that app just now and you're right. Honestly though, that app is really lame and I am thinking of rooting the phone to be rid of it. It's like Yelp, if they had no members or something.
  3. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female Guide

Unless you're actively traveling, the app is useless. I'm currently on a two week vacation and we're using it to locate movie theaters, restaurants, etc.

Of course, since I installed a custom rom all of that bloatware isn't on my phone, and I couldn't find it on the Market. Had no issues though finding and downloading it from the Market on my boyfriends Verizon HTC and getting it installed.

The Where app has been very useful for us.
  4. AndyOpie150

AndyOpie150 <strong> <a href="http://androidforums.com/optimus Contributor

I use Dolphin HD which has what they call speed dial. You can go to the best site for each of the things your interested in, going directly to what ever page on that site you want just by putting in that pages URL when you initially set up that button(little box) . For example: for world news I go to the BBC, then press the exit x on the page tab and I'm back to the speed dial were I'll select the national news,entertainment and goofy videos by going to CNBC, then over to Fox sports. Doing it this way is just as quick as where app but has way more news info available.
    I also can put up multiple pages to copy and paste info from one page to the other, switching back and forth just by selecting a tab (just like a PC) .
  5. Blazin65

I'll check out Dolphin HD.

I never used the "Where" App for gas and location and all those things. I just used it for news.

I'm still new to a smart phone, so I'm sure there are plenty of applications I don't know about that are better thank "Where". That's why I'm asking.

Any other recommendations?
  6. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female Guide

I think you might be thinking of another app... the Where app has always been about "where" to go do things. I don't remember it showing any news... unless that's something it did before I joined VM.
  7. Thorsten

Thorsten Well-Known Member

Yes, at least version 1.9.8 of Where (which is the version that came pre-installed on my V; I have uninstalled the auto-update) includes a News function. Not half bad, either.
  8. tli

tli Well-Known Member

I believe Where has been renamed as Places now. It is bundled with the Google Maps app along with Navigation. Install Maps, and look inside the Apps Drawer. That's how I got it back when I rooted to CM7 ROM.
  9. AndyOpie150

AndyOpie150 <strong> <a href="http://androidforums.com/optimus Contributor

Places is definitely bundled with google maps. I like it and have used it on several occasions. As well as the navigation app. But as far as news the aforementioned. Dolphin HD is the way to go. If you like to watch the news then the TV.com app has CBS News as well as some of there other programming including CBS Sports Mobile,and the original Star Trek series(my personal favorite) .
  10. fightingirish

fightingirish Well-Known Member

Where and Places are two different apps. Always have been.
  11. tli

tli Well-Known Member

My confusion. Sorry...
  12. lizm

lizm Well-Known Member

My favorite news app is "US Newspapers". It's basically the mobile versions of a bunch of different papers. It's a small app, lightweight, fast, and puts a lot of news web sites i like in one spot.
  13. lizm

lizm Well-Known Member

...also, if you use AppBrain, you can roll back updates to the preinstalled apps to the version you want, then tell it not to update them anymore.
  14. Blazin65

Updated Response and Thanks to all the Replies

Google Maps-I never could find the news in that app but that's OK.

The Dolphin Browser-I haven't had much chance to fully experience it yet but I do like this browser.

US Newpapers-Looks like a great app but maybe to much news.

As far as what I have been using since this post, I've been using Fox News App. I have gotten more used to it.

Thanks for all the comments.

By the way, I'm in front of a computer all day, so I'm one of the people on this forum that uses the web on my phone very little. The main time I use it is when sitting in my recliner to check a sports score. For that, it works great!