What happens if you defrag your phone memorySupport

Last Updated:

1. MolBasser

MolBasser Well-Known Member

Out of curiosity, I tested to see if my WinXPpro computer would be willing to defrag my phone memory and SD memory.

It was willing.

Is this a reasonable thing to do?

Edit: I didn't do it, but I could have done it. I defrag my computer a lot. I just wonder if it pans out for a phone like it does for a computer.

2. MolBasser

40 views and no comment? Is it that stupid of a question?

3. ardchoille

ardchoille Well-Known Member

Android is Linux, not Windows, the system doesn't have a chance to get fragmented because Linux is constantly doing "housekeeping" in the background (Kinda says a lot about Windows, eh?). I wouldn't trust any Windows OS to do anything with a Linux OS, it's just a recipe for disaster.
  4. jmar

jmar Nexican VIP Member

I don't have the answer but here is a comment anyway. This is my second view. Welcome to the world of root.
  5. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Well-Known Member

i definitely wouldn't trust a windows computer to defrag anything on my phone. If you really wanted to make sure your files are in order (sd card only), you can copy everything off, format the card, then copy
    everything back.
    ardchoille likes this.
  6. chile62

chile62 Well-Known Member

There is no reason to defrag sd memory. The manor in which data is stored and accessed is completely different than standard hard drives.
  7. MolBasser

Cool. Thanks for the answers. PUI is not the best way to place a reasonable question out there :)

Anywoodle, gonna do some more backup and such and start flashing ROMs today.

8. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

Don't ever screw with the internal memory. There have been several threads here and elsewhere in which people accidentally formatted the internal instead of the SD card when both drives showed up on the PC. Creates a situation nobody wants to be in.
  9. euph_22

euph_22 Well-Known Member

Defragging is very very bad for flash storage. There is a limit to how many times you can write to each location on the "disk". Since defragging basically rewrites the entire "disk" multiple times, it seriously eats into the life of the "disk".
    It also is largely unnecessary since it has much faster seek time than a physical hard disk, and has been pointed out the storage is far less likely to become fragmented on a phone.
  10. MolBasser

All good answers. Thanks!

Rocking GB right now! awesome.

11. pragmatous

pragmatous Well-Known Member

You don't defrag flash memory ever. It degrades the quality of the flash memory faster. Similar to why you never defrag a SSD drive.
  12. Ron Caber

Ron Caber New Member

The earlier poster's warnings about defragmenting flash memory is valid.

Phone memory is similar to an SSD drive and although it is popularly believed that SSDs do not fragment they do but not in the same way as a mechanical (HDD) drive does.

There is an SSD defragmenter that has been developed for flash type memory so I guess if you did need to defrag your phone memory this would be the correct tool to do it with as it wouldn't negatively effect your phone memory.

Click on this link to read the white paper on SSD defragmentation

You can click on this link for a description of how this new tech works here:

Hope this helps