• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help What happens if you defrag your phone memory

MolBasser

Jan 20, 2011
Chico, CA
Out of curiosity, I tested to see if my WinXPpro computer would be willing to defrag my phone memory and SD memory.

It was willing.

Is this a reasonable thing to do?

Edit: I didn't do it, but I could have done it. I defrag my computer a lot. I just wonder if it pans out for a phone like it does for a computer.

MolBasser

Defragging is very very bad for flash storage. There is a limit to how many times you can write to each location on the "disk". Since defragging basically rewrites the entire "disk" multiple times, it seriously eats into the life of the "disk".
It also is largely unnecessary since it has much faster seek time than a physical hard disk, and has been pointed out the storage is far less likely to become fragmented on a phone.

Upvote 0
The earlier poster's warnings about defragmenting flash memory is valid.

Phone memory is similar to an SSD drive and although it is popularly believed that SSDs do not fragment they do but not in the same way as a mechanical (HDD) drive does.

There is an SSD defragmenter that has been developed for flash type memory so I guess if you did need to defrag your phone memory this would be the correct tool to do it with as it wouldn't negatively effect your phone memory.

Click on this link to read the white paper on SSD defragmentation

You can click on this link for a description of how this new tech works here:

HYPERFAST SSD OPTIMIZER DESCRIPTION

Hope this helps

Cheers

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones