what happens out of country?

Last Updated:

1. SeanFL

SeanFL Member This Topic's Starter

I have a sprint hero. What happens if I take it to a Caribbean island (Aruba specifically). No cell service, but will I be able to use the phone with wifi and still get contacts, calendar, and web if there is open wifi at a hotel?

Sean

Advertisement
  2. twospirits

twospirits AF's janitor Moderator

Its my understanding that it won't work. Only international phones, but to be on the safe side I just contacted sprint and this is what they said..

CDMA:Sprint Device* GSM:BlackBerry Tour,BlackBerry 8830, HTC TouchPro2, Samsung Intrepid,Samsung ACE, are the only devices that may used in Aruba

TS

3. pdragon

pdragon Well-Known Member

He did ask about using WiFi, though. I would imagine WiFi would work fine no matter where you are in the world. You'd just only have access to the services that don't require the cell network.

4. twospirits

twospirits AF's janitor Moderator

Note to self: When reading a post, open the window fully to see all the words. lol

Did not see the wifi. Good catch.

TS

5. boi_HeRO

boi_HeRO Member

you wont be able to use any voice or data services, but youll always be able to use wifi. youre contacts and information will always be on your phone unless you unsync it. if you happen to unsync it for some reason, then just connect to wifi and sync it again.

6. ccinaz

ccinaz New Member

When you turn wifi on, data services over the air turn off automatically. Only one of them can be on at a time, so I would expect (hope) wifi would work anywhere. Test it by going someplace you can't get Sprint phone service and see...

Also, airplane mode lets all the rest of the phone work fine except for anything that radiates a signal..GPS still works since it doesn't radiate.

7. boi_HeRO

boi_HeRO Member

not necessarily, only when the phone is connected to a wifi source is when the data services will be off. if you have wifi on and you are not connected to a source, the data services will still be on until it is connected to a wifi source.

8. ccinaz

ccinaz New Member

You are correct...I missed that detail..