• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What happens to applications when we recieve update?

marco712

Feb 22, 2010
Coming from Nokia, I know that everything's done in Nokia PC suite:
1. back up everything
2. receive update
3. reload backup.

With Android.. what are the detailed steps?

I want to buy some apps but with 2.1 around the corner I'd like to make sure that I can still get back my apps after the update.

Also, does Android Market keep track of your downloaded applications? Say if I lost my phone... would the market have a record that says I did buy that application so that i wouldn't have to buy them again?

Purchased apps are linked to your google account, so you can always get those back.

When the 2.1 update comes it will be an .exe file ran from the pc and will wipe everything, so to keep your apps safe you'll need to use a backup app. My Backup gets lots of mention, but is only a 30 day trial, Astro file manager can back them up as well, but the best is probably Titanium Backup. Although that one will only work with rooted phones, unfortunately.

I had problems restoring some of my backed up apps when I tried a 2.1 ROM, so it's possible restoring some apps may not work.

Upvote 0
You can re-install any paid apps as long as youve still got your google account. You can still reinstall them even if you buy a different (android) phone.

All backing them up does is save you the hassle and bandwidth of redownloading them from the market, BUT if you restore an app from a backup your phone may not (for some weird reason) be able to work out where it came from originally, so app updates get a bit borked (titanium backup resolves this, but requires a rooted phone). And generally you cant backup paid apps anyway. So if you have a decent wifi connection its probably better to reinstall from market anyway.

HOWEVER it IS worth making a backup just in case, because occasionally apps disappear from the market, and sometimes new ROM versions break the market temporarily (something to do with the ROM version not being registered with the android market, think this happened once with an orange update)

Reactions: jim_h
Upvote 0
please dont listen to these idiots above as they havent got a clue.dont buy any apps yet wait for your upgrade.because of licensing between google and developers there is no guarantee that some paid apps will work on 2.1.i had a software upgrade and lost a lot of paid apps i am waiting for the new update then i am gonna buy new apps that will show on the market.

Upvote 0
please dont listen to these idiots above as they havent got a clue.dont buy any apps yet wait for your upgrade.because of licensing between google and developers there is no guarantee that some paid apps will work on 2.1.i had a software upgrade and lost a lot of paid apps i am waiting for the new update then i am gonna buy new apps that will show on the market.
I dont take too kindly being called an idiot and haven't got a clue, was just answering the OP's questoin. I do agree with you oxomcfc but there was no need to be rude and besides it's down to the individual.

Upvote 0
It's not like our points even actually disagre. We said that all your apps will remain linked to your account even after an upgrade, which is true. Whether or not a dev has upgraded the app to work on 2.1 is another matter.

So you did raise a good point. Just keep it the insults to your self next time, ok?

Upvote 0
All installed apps will be wiped by an update.

Paid apps are linked to the Google account used to purchase them and will be available from "My Downloads" when you sign in post-update.

There is no record of free app downloads outside of the handset, so those will have to be sought out manually.

Market glitches after updates have all been down to Google's Market database not recognising the build signature of the new software as a valid handset. It happened with both Orange 2.73.xx.xx updates.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones