What happens to Hero after upgrade to Epic?Support

Last Updated:

1. Bitbang3r

Bitbang3r Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

This isn't quite Epic-related, but it's unlikely to be a question anyone with a Hero can answer simply because I suspect a huge number of Epic owners were once Hero owners, but few Hero owners have ever replaced a working Hero with a new one.

What will happen to my Hero after I activate my Epic (same account, taking over its number)? Will it still boot normally, and just be unable to make/receive voice calls, send/receive text messages, and access the internet over Sprint? Can I treat it like a ghetto-fabulous mini wi-fi tablet, robot controller, picture frame, or something? Or will it detect that it no longer has Sprint service, and refuse to boot into Android? If it matters, the phone's rooted, and running Buuf'ed AOSP, not Sprint's official ROM.

Likewise, what happens to paid Market apps (after I've downloaded and installed them on the new phone)? Will they instantly disable themselves, or will they basically stick around forever and just fail to update themselves going forward?

I already backed up my text messages to xml... is there anything else anyone can think of that I'll regret not doing in retrospect, or anything I should do while the phone still has service? Likewise, would I gain anything by disabling the phone and network data before I actually transfer the service?

Is it safe to assume that network-based location service will cease to work, or is it something that the tower doesn't bother to authenticate, and just answers queries to regardless of activation status on the theory that it would be more work for Sprint to check whether you're entitled to receive location info than to just blindly answer any query that comes in?

Actually, that reminds me... if I were to ever want to unroot it for resale to someone, do I need to unroot it while it still has Sprint service? Also, if I'm doing a one-year premiere-customer upgrade, am I entitled to my old phone's permanent MSL code so I can sell it to someone (possibly for them to reflash and use on MetroPCS)?

Advertisement
  2. MILcityBOI

MILcityBOI Well-Known Member

LOL.....sorry it's kind of a funny post but nevertheless, you will be able to turn on your Hero and access everything but of coarse voice and data services are disabled since the service is switched over to the Epic......Your paid apps will continue to be updated on your "new" phone since you paid for them...Your phone does not need to be active to unroot, it can all be done without have any voice/data services. And I am not 100% sure but I think that you will have a new MSL # on the new phone. You can use Connectbot to see if that is true.....Finally if you are talking bout using the "network based location service" as a form on GPS on the Hero then no, that will not be possible as the phone will not have any service and cannot access the towers.

Bitbang3r likes this.
  3. dougleppard

dougleppard Well-Known Member

@Bitbang3r you are right I am another x-Hero owner and now Epic owner. I almost sold my Hero on ebay and thought it could be a wifi controller of some sort.

I am into rob otics but I was thinking of various controller issues, controlling things around the house etc.

What did you end up doing?

Doug

4. Xavion2004

Xavion2004 Well-Known Member

Great Post, I use my old Hero as a wireless remote for my PC, keep track of my daily workouts, its basically become a PMP

5. dougleppard

dougleppard Well-Known Member

Wireless remote? What do you do?